Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th October 2009, 13:11

Peter Roberts is on a distinguished road
Hurricanes in USSR

In January 2005, Carl-Fredrik Geust posted a very informative listing of Hurricanes flown by 151 Wing on this forum.

I have been able to refer to both Nat Goulds log book entries and the 134 Sqn ORB to gather information to add to this listing, as follows:

Hurricane Z5134 was Nats usual aircraft, individual letter M (hence, GM). Russian number unknown

Hurricane BD699 was coded K, hence GK. Russian number unknown

Hurricane Z5210 was coded X, hence GX. Russian number unknown

Hurricane Z5303 was coded C, believed to be GC-26

I am missing the page of the ORB for October 18. Nat flew "G" twice this day, so hopefully can confirm the serial number for "G" soon. (if I can get this page copied!)

Hope this helps

PR
Old 13th October 2009, 20:44

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hurricanes in USSR

Peter

Carl post the list without really asking me - that was basically five years of research locating all surviving pilots and nearly every family (only one family not located) so was not overly happy he posted it without discussing. This was 1995 and one day it will be a book project.

I have a list of all 39 Hurricanes and there serials with 81 and 134 Sqn.

There is a bit more here.

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis...5252/index.htm

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis...anes/index.htm

regards

Mark
Old 14th October 2009, 10:06

Hi Mark

Thanks for the sites - yes, I have visited those, good info. I especially liked (your?) RAF Hurricanes in Russia site. Terrific information, and a great record of the activity of this Wing. Briiliant!

I am a bit surprised to hear that people were not happy at his (Carls) posting? Certainly in terms of the aircraft details, I am not sure where the problem would lie - ? Admittedly I havent read the whole post, mainly the aircraft identification information.

Also a bit frustrating to see that a book has been in progress for over 10 years? As a modeller and keen researcher, especially of Aussies and their exploits, I'd certainly like to see more information on the aircraft made available. I have spoken to Nat Gould and he is quite enthusiastic about making this information known, and I am happy to spread the information for him. It is great recognition for these guys and their efforts, and hopefully we can develop some accurate models of the aircraft they flew. Nat has made several recordings of his experiences I believe at the request of various organisations.

Perhaps you can help out by posting the information you have - serial numbers and codes for the aircraft of 151 wing? That would be appreciated by all I am sure!

Cheers

PR
Old 14th October 2009, 10:18

Opps, sorry Mark, just re-read your reply. Yes, I can understand your annoyance at having your research posted before the book is done!

You wont like this, but I do tend to be in favour of atleast having some of the basic research released and made known, such as the aircraft details. The more personal stuff derived from your hard work tracking down families and speaking to them for their experiences should be kept for publication.

But after all, aircraft identity is in the public domain at places like the National Archives. A quick scan of the Squadron ORBs will surrender their serial numbers. The more difficult part is the code letter and Russian number!

In the meantime, God-speed with your book. I for one would be a keen buyer!

PR
Old 14th October 2009, 11:45
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

It is a poor image, but found this in my unsorted photo boxes of 1941 related images. It shows a grave marker for Sgt Norman Smith at Vaenga, 12 September 1941.

Last edited by Andy Saunders; 28th November 2009 at 22:11.
Old 14th October 2009, 16:53

Peter

Agreed, the hurricane serials and records are all available at the public records and other locations.

The research and location of over half of the log books was to tie in ID letters and Soviet numbers. These were not in the records though 81 Sqn included more info than 134 Sqn.

Yes, a book would be great. Have few hundred photos, ID books, diaries and all of the squadron and wing records. Finding the time to publish the book is the problem.

Writing about a single aircraft each time has been time consuming process and with a family, yound kids etc - thee is not a lot of time.

One day I hope

regards

Mark
Old 14th October 2009, 16:56

Peter

Hurricane Z5134 GM-23
Hurricane BD699 GK-22
Hurricane Z5210 GX-32
Hurricane Z5303 GC-38

regards

Mark
Old 14th October 2009, 22:57

Hi Mark

Sensational - thank you. M was the main aircraft I was interested in, as this was Nats aircraft, or the one he predominantly flew. Have you contacted Nat Gould in the course of your research?

Yes, I can understand the time issue. The bad news? Kids seem to take as much, if not more time, as they get older!! The good news, they are worth it! Hope you get a shot at the book, would be great tribute to these guys.

Many thanks for the a/c info - very much appreciated.

PR
Old 14th October 2009, 23:03

Hi Mark

Can you contact me off board?

Thanks

PR
Old 15th October 2009, 21:09

Peter

I found the families of all four Australian pilots as well as both Canadians. One pilot from UK I could not find and one Int Officer from the West Indies as well. Succeeded in one from Rhodesia as well!

He sent you a PM with my contact details.

regards

Mark