Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 20th January 2020, 22:34

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hawker Hurricane, Fury & Hind - The Yugoslav Story 1931-1941

Ordered my copy and now eagerly awaiting it.
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:17

vvkj41 is on a distinguished road

Hello Guys,

Mark, it’s great to know that moratorium is history now!
Looking forward to your impressions. Enjoy!

And Gentleman I must announce that Hawker hunting season is finally open!
It seems that in publishing, deadlines are meant to be missed by the printers!

Hawker TYS book is finally available, so please do not hesitate to visit www.leadenskybooks.com and order your copy. All books are signed by author. If you need any additional information or question, please let me know at a.ognjevic(at)gmail.com

And finally to all of you guys from USA or Canada, I managed to engage my friend Jim Tunney from Flight Line Hobbies to sell my books for US and Canada markets. This way, it will be much easier for all of us to handle parcels. It’s money, time and nerve saving option for all of us.

So please do not hesitate to get in touch with Jim via email: jimtunney10(at)gmail.com and arrange all the details. First book parcel will be shipped to the United States tomorrow morning, so I guess that it will be with Jim and Flight Line Hobbies in next 8-10 days.

There will be additional update with couple of novices soon.

Best regards and thanks to all for your patience,

Aleks
www.leadenskybooks
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:32

AndyMa is on a distinguished road

Can you update us on the possibility of more copies of the Blenheim book being available please?
It would make sense for me to order both at the same time to save on postage costs..
Andy
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:15

Hi there Andy,

I printed additional (small) amount of Blenheim book as well. Unexpectedly, some of my distributors ordered almost all of them together with Hawker book. That is the reason of not moving “sold-out” on my web site. Please let me check the stock, since Jukka was also interested in one copy of Blenheim, if I understand him correctly.

On the other hand, I will certainly print Blenheim again, or should I say right after second round of Hawker is finished. Just to let you know from my own experience that saving on postal costs for two books will be symbolic. There is one shipping price for books up to 1kg (like Hawker & Blenheim) and up to 2 kg (both books together) is almost double… It includes Air Mail and parcel tracking code of course.

Best Regards

Aleks
www.leadenskybooks.com
Old 24th January 2020, 09:36

And to add Brian's foreword:

It is my privilege and pleasure to write these few words in praise of Aleks’ excellent latest book Hawker Hurricane, Fury and Hind: The Yugoslav Story, which follows his equally admired Bristol Blenheim: The Yugoslav Story, both meticulously researched and beautifully illustrated with many previously unpublished photographs. Aleks was also an invaluable co-author for my book Blenheims over Greece and Crete 1940-1941, contributing Chapter VII and photographs.

Not much has been written about the desperate fight Yugoslavia put up against the invading German forces in April 1941, and even less is known about the struggle in the air by a handful of valiant Yugoslav fighter pilots against the overwhelming might of the all-powerful, all-conquering Luftwaffe. Faced by the experienced German pilots flying Bf109s and Bf110s, the Yugoslavs in obsolete Hawker Fury biplanes and outdated and out-performed Hawker Hurricanes, covered themselves in glory; but at the price in human sacrifice. Within, Aleks pays tribute to one and all.

Brian Cull
Sufflok, August 2019
Old 24th March 2020, 13:45

Aleks,
I've enjoyed reading the book! A ccouple of questions:

a) You mention the new serial system which started in March 1940 (Furies became 2201 and up for example). Is it known if the serials are directly correlated? ie did 11 become 2211, or?...

b) On Page 71, Hind 159 white is said to be No 2. In the artworks at the rear, it is said to be No 1. Which is correct?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 24th March 2020, 14:19

Andy,

Glad that you enjoyed reading the book!
No, there is no relation between Hawker serials and new VVKJ numbers. New numbers were added randomly.
Good point regarding "white 159". It should be No.2 in profiles...

Best Regards

Aleks
www.leadenskybooks.com
Old 24th March 2020, 14:54

Aleks,
OK, thanks for the answers!
Andy
Old 24th March 2020, 18:49

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

To add my input:
This is an excellent produced book on the Hawkers in Yugoslavia. Touches on development, history and operational use all in a well designed package. Excellent selection of pictures too.
Highly recommended and I'm looking forward to the next project.
Old 25th March 2020, 13:24
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Recently I received my copy of the book. I only had a chance to flick though it, but it's immediately clear that it's another thorough job done by Aleks, with many - to me - unknown photos. Printing quality is also good, the numerous colour profiles very nice.
All in all, yet another great book produced by Aleks and his team at LeadenSky Books.
P.S. I particularly appreciated the remembrance note on the bottom of the inside cover page, in memory of Jan van den Heuvel, whom we, who had contact with him, all miss.