Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th May 2019, 17:22
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Luftwaffe Target Code 10281

10 is airfield so where was 281? I have 218 as Stradishall and 281 was apparently in East Anglia
Old 17th May 2019, 20:49

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe Target Code 10281

Chris

I have 281 as Detling according to TM 3 (GB) " Target Negative List"

All the best

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 17th May 2019, 21:01

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

To expand on that from the same listing here are some airfields with codes around 281

276 Bury St Edmunds
277 Dublin - Tallangnt
278 Norwich Catton
279 Cosford Grange
280 Coltishall
282 Elstree

Andy Mitchell

Old 17th May 2019, 21:01
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hmmm...………….the only Zielnummern I've ever seen that begin with "10" were for airfields in the UdSSR:

Minsk-Loscha (RUSS) (a.k.a. Minsk-Losha, Minsk-Łoša, Minsk-Loshitsa?) (ZNr. 10-281) (c. 53 25 N – 27 24 E?)
General: civil airfield (Zivilflugplatz) in W Russia (today Belarus) near Minsk. Positive location of this civil aviation field not determined, but it seems to be a corruption or incorrect German transliteration of Minsk-Loshitsa located 1.5 km N of Minsk. History: no information found. Surface and Dimensions: natural surface measuring approx. 1000 x 800 meters (1095 x 875 yards). Infrastructure: no details found. Dispersal: no details found.
Remarks: none.
Operational Units: if any, see above under Minsk.
Station Commands: none identified.
Station Units (on various dates – not complete): if any, see above under Minsk.
[Sources: chronologies; AFHRA, BA-MA; NARA incl. T-321 roll 239/OKL 903; OKL Flugplatzatlas; PRO/NA; web site ww2.dk]

L.
Old 17th May 2019, 21:08
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Obviously, Andy is right. It's strange that they would use the same designator for the U.K. and the USSR, since RLM/Ob.d.L. policy was to use different ZNr. designators for different countries? At least I have seen different ones used for Poland, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia from spring 1944 on.

L.
Old 17th May 2019, 21:12

Larry,

Surely the code encompasses the country code as well e.g. GB 10 2 (Aberdeen Dyce)

You had me a little worried there so I searched for some items on-line and found this http://canmore-pdf.rcahms.gov.uk/wp/00/WP003869.pdf

Page 13 is a target photo of Aberdeen Dyce. Pg 15 gives GB 10 906 as Peterhead.

Andy Mitchell

Old 17th May 2019, 21:25

Larry,

I see your point when looking at http://http://www.wwii-photos-maps.c...071216_011.htm

However, some photos show just the ZNr starting with the type code while other photos have the SU prefix.

Additionally, if you look at this target photo http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/targ...Amara%201.html for the airfield at Amara (Tunisia) it is coded FA 10 490.

Similarly, Sirte in Libya (here is coded IA 10 93 on that document.

Andy Mitchell

Old 18th May 2019, 02:12
Alter Hase

Spot on, Andy. I plead old age as my excuse. I should not have missed that one because I have spent the last couple of years buried in those Luftwaffe recce photos of Eastern Front airfields, the Luftwaffe Gazetteer for them as well as the Luftwaffe Flugplatzatlas, all of which are copiously marked with the place names and the ZNr.'s. Conclusion: there were no numerical country designations; they used SU, GB, etc., for those. The numeric "10" was used as the target designation for Airfields, no matter where they were. By fall 1943, the number of VVS airfields that were potential Luftwaffe targets climbed past 10,000 and this meant some labeling adjustments were needed. So they started using four more numbers in addition to "10" to designate airfields in the East: these were 11, 12, 13 and 14. Whether or not this change also applied to newly built Allied airfields in the West and the Mediterranean, I cannot say.

L.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:10
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Thanks both-that would match. Excuse my ignorance but what is/where is TM 3(GB)?
Old 18th May 2019, 09:55

Chris,

Its a document that I downloaded some while ago from John Calvin's ftp server. Although looking today I am having trouble finding the precise location on that server.

There is no information within the document as to source - but it has to be either UK or US. (There is reference to the "Dick Tracey" collection (?) in an overview document for TM3. This also states "this is the only material from this section that will be held at C.I.U)

There are lists for

Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Yugoslavia
Finland
GB
Norway
Denmark
Poland
Index to Russian Material
Misc Russian Target data
Miscellaneous
Russian Packets
Misc Russian (Maps, sketches, mosaics)

Additionally, there are "Target Dossiers" in a number of files. These list items/ dossiers by country (one country per file). These reference RG 242 "National Archives Collection of Foreign Records Seized 1941" - some of these (including those for Italy, Libya, Egypt, French Africa, Iceland, Ireland, Balkans, Cyprus and Iraq) also include the target code and the alpha prefix.

Andy Mitchell

Last edited by Andy Mitchell; 18th May 2019 at 09:56. Reason: punctuation and spelling