Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th September 2008, 20:39
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Looking for insignia images for III./KG55 during 1940-41

Andy,

This gets "curioser and curioser" as it goes forward. The K-Report, does, indeed, say that this insignia was "Gold" with three blue fishes. I looked for my copy of the "G" report before I wrote my earlier posting, but, unfortunately, it apparently got skipped when we transcribed the the He111 sequence. So now we have two credible reports of the fish being red and one of them being blue. I guess now we need a German source to provide contemporary color confirmation for this. I'm now leaning back towards red for the fish.

Are you sure that the souvenir booklet was for 8. Staffel specifically? This is very similar to the insignia on the rudder of G1+DT, for which I have a photo with a confirmed fuselage code. Mine is obviously a 9. Staffel aircraft.

Regards,
Old 6th September 2008, 21:37
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Larry

You could be right. Maybe it was a 9 Staffel booklet?? Or maybe a III/Gruppe publication? I had it for years but then parted with it. May be faulty memory syndrome, but kinda think Peter Cornwell may have had it from me. Perhaps I imagined that?

Anyway, I kind of suspect that the crash inspectors of AI(g) are most likely to have got the colouring right from their investigations? We also have the press reports, too.

What are you views about the colour tones on the photograph I posted? Red fish, yellow shield? Blue fish, yellow shield?
Old 6th September 2008, 22:11
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Andy,

I think that the background color for W.Nr. 2808 is probably yellow. Trying to interpret the color of the fish is very tricky, because blue and red show up differently on different types of film. I would have said blue for the fish, but the evidence is now coming down pretty strongly on red. I agree that the "G" report, coupled with the press account, argues very strongly for red fish. Now we've got to find out who in Britain has that piece of rudder with the insignia on it in their collection. That, of course, would settle it definitively. There is another reason to expect red fish, and that is that this was an 8. Staffel aircraft using an emblem that apparently varied in appearance with the staffel within III Gruppe. So you would expect red, the 8. Staffel color, on there somewhere.

Regards,
Old 6th September 2008, 22:18

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Saunders View Post
As an afterthought, I believe that Fritz Pons told me the emblem was some kind of a play on German words. Something to do with a German expression for "Three Fish" meaning something like the English expression "A piece of cake"...meaning simple, or easy to do. Perhaps one of our German friends could put some meaning to this? Dreifisch??
I presume kleine Fische, and no I am not German
see Dierich Kampfgeschwader Greif p. 80

p.

Last edited by Pawel Burchard; 6th September 2008 at 23:25.
Old 9th September 2008, 02:34
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

Someone has just pointed out to me that this insignia (yellow shield, 3 red fish) appears on the cover of the KG55 history, "Kampfgeschwader 55 Greif," which was published in Germany quite a few years ago. I guess that settles the color, but the question remains about the color of any possible variations used by the various squadrons. Any further info or photos on these possible variations?

Regards,
Old 6th April 2013, 11:28
Astrocam

I believe I can help at least confirm the colours for G1 + LS.

The colours are three yellow fish on a black background outlined in red. These are the colours that were applied for night bombing.

The above colours were applied over an originally yellow shield depicting three red fish.

I understand there may be photos of this aircraft in existance that depict this insignia. Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to let me have? Also is it known if there are any photos of the crashed aircraft?

Mark.
Old 7th April 2017, 11:28

Slayer is on a distinguished road

"three fishes" emblem on He111 G1+BC from Stab II_KG55?

http://www.ebay.at/itm/b37-Foto-Flug...4AAOSwWxNY0q97