Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th November 2012, 23:37

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Junkers Ju 88 A-4 and C-6 in 3D

Hello all, it's been awhile since I tackled a Luftwaffe subject. Here's a current 3D model of mine, the Ju 88. So far I've made an A-4 bomber and C-6 nightfighter variant.

There's one mistake I still need to fix, which is the starboard engine (accidentally mirrored), but that's an easy fix. The C-6 still needs fuselage markings (Hauptmann Tober's machine of NJG 3). So please consider these work-in-progress:

Likewise a work-in-progress profile render of the A-4 (the contrast in the shadows is too great and the cockpit needs more equipment):

Now what I'm currently looking for is a confirmed encounter of a Ju 88 A (with known unit & markings) and Polikarpov I-16 (known unit, markings, pilot if possible, preferably a type 10 or type 17), which would make for an interesting artwork... I am sure there are many such encouters, but finding an actual matchup is proving extremely hard. Can anyone please suggest me a good place (book, website, etc.) to start?

Also please have a look at the link to a post about Tober's aircraft. I'm trying to establish who shot him down.

NB. These models are a conversion (read: nearly full rebuilt) of an older 3D model of mine of the Ju 88 T-1, which was made way back in 2004 for a book which never materialised. As you can see from this comparison animation, the rework was substantial.

Old 12th November 2012, 21:03

Re: Junkers Ju 88 A-4 and C-6 in 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyraider3D View Post
Now what I'm currently looking for is a confirmed encounter of a Ju 88 A (with known unit & markings) and Polikarpov I-16 (known unit, markings, pilot if possible, preferably a type 10 or type 17), which would make for an interesting artwork... I am sure there are many such encouters, but finding an actual matchup is proving extremely hard. Can anyone please suggest me a good place (book, website, etc.) to start?

Also please have a look at the link to a post about Tober's aircraft. I'm trying to establish who shot him down.
Anyone please?

Old 12th November 2013, 17:39

A wee update to the 3D model of the night fighter. And still hoping somebody may hold the answer to "who shot down Oblt. Tober?"

Old 12th November 2013, 19:17

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

Very nice Ronnie.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:52

jim norton

hi,

how long did it take to make this great views?

all the best
jim
Old 15th November 2013, 12:22

Thanks very much for your replies, Clint & Jim! Glad you like it!

Jim, I didn't log my hours too well on this project as it spans over two periods, so it's difficult to say exactly. I originally made a Ju 88 T-1 for a book by Dave Wadman, which never materialised (as planned). I created this model in my spare time over the course of 3 months back in 2004. Then last year I was asked to produce an A-4 model for a documentary. What started off as a "quick conversion" became a major rebuild and took about three weeks. Here you can see the differences between the 2004 model and the current model. In hindsight I wish I'd started from scratch as not a single polygons remains in place!

In another week I converted the A-4 variant to a C-6 model for a different episode of the same documentary series. On the to-do list are the A-1, A-17, R-1, H-1 and possibly G-models and a Mistel at some point

The renders themselves were set up fairly quickly (both in the same evening) using lighting rigs I set up in the past for other projects. But these are just tests really. I'm preparing for some all-new, full combat renders together with my 3D Mosquito model in both day and night time scenarios:

Old 15th November 2013, 13:26

bill norman

Superb models - and indistiguishable from the real thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Bill Norman (www.billnorman.co.uk)
Old 15th November 2013, 13:29
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Not exactly accurate. This C-6 "modelled" should have Gondola and code be R4+LS.
-Ed
Old 15th November 2013, 13:39

Thank you Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
Not exactly accurate. This C-6 "modelled" should have Gondola and code be R4+LS.
Only if you believe the often repeated myths.

The registration is 4R+AS. If you have the In Action book on the Ju 88 please look on page 24. It has a photo of this aircraft and it clearly has the registration 4R+AS written on the flame damper. "AS" is visible as well on the fuselage. Furthermore the second photo below clearly shows "A" on the lower nose. I hope this convinces you the correct registration is 4R+AS, not R4+LS as often stated!

As for the gondola, please judge for youself, but I don't think it has one.
I believe many late Ju 88 C-6s with Schräge Musik had the gondola removed as it simply wasn't required anymore.

Photo from Ju 88 In Action page 24 with the serial barely visible on the flame damper:

Old 15th November 2013, 13:54
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

http://www.digitalaviationart.com/fo...ber_web900.jpg
I read code different there, it says 4R+AS, Right?
Other photo is not conclusive, in my view, Gondola´s often were crushed and ripped off on crash landings.
-ed

Last edited by edNorth; 15th November 2013 at 14:05. Reason: typo

Tags
3d art, ju 88 a-4, ju 88 c-6, junkers ju 88, luftwaffe