Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st August 2018, 17:43

Nibele is on a distinguished road
Do 217 crash site found.

Good evening.
Does anybody has info about this Dornier 217 E5 6N+FP Wnr 5509 ( Lt Koch HW, Ogfr Wagner, Ogfr Riedl, Fw Heyne). It was lost in the Trasimeno lake ( between tuscany and Umbria, Italy) and I guess it is the plane I found near Castiglion Fiorentino ( Arezzo, Italy).
Thank you in advance
Andrea
Old 2nd August 2018, 16:20
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Do 217 crash site found.

Andrea, good morning.

The book about "L'Escadre au drakkar - KG 100" de Roba quote on pgs. 176-177 that this machine was part of 7 (or 8...memory do fails me now) machines that took off at 15:00hs (briefing at 14:00hs) from Toulouse to strike the shipping on the Nettuno Beach-head. It seems that some of those were attacked by what was identified as Spitfires (British) but the author do says they were from the 2nd FG (USAAF). No one knows for sure which machines were indeed claimed by the fighters and which were by the Flak over the beach-head...The other interesting information is that THIS particular machine with another one, had technical problems and did take-off later than the others, perhaps joining "en route", perhaps going alone by themselves (= without other cover fire)...so "easy meat" for both Fighters and Flak (Allied).

I do not know their orders or initial Flight Plan (were they supposed to refuel somewhere else before striking? Were they supposed to go inland then come from the NNE of Italy and then leaving via Anzio directly to France?). What seems weird is that they are indeed very very far away from Anzio/Nettuno Beach-Head, from the crash site you do mention....

Adriano Baumgartner