Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 30th June 2007, 21:04

bassamnamani is on a distinguished road
Question Me 262 should have been used as a bomber?

Alfred Price mentions that Hitler wanted to use the Me 262 as a bomber against the expected landing of Allied troops in Europe, implying that Hitler was right and Adolf Galland was wrong (who wanted to use the Me 262 exclusively as a fighter). Its use against bombers or fighters of the USAAF was a waste of its potential, because, ironically, its high speed would make it clear away past its opponent without giving it much time to fire and inflict lethal damage. Why not, therefore, add, that the Me 262 should have been used offensively against ground air targets in Britain, where it could have attacked and then escaped its pursuers with ease? Remember that the Me 262 was used in Operation Bodenplatte.
Old 30th June 2007, 21:45
Alter Hase

CJE
Re: Me 262 should have been used as a bomber?

Only I./KG 51 took part in "Bodenplatte".
The use of fighter-bombers against Britain had no effect on the outcome of war. Why would have the Me 262 been more effective than the Fw 190 or the Bf 109 (or even the V-2) in this rôle?
Pinpoint bombing could not have won a war that was already lost everywhere else.
That's just not realistic.
Old 30th June 2007, 23:26
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Hitting the UK would have had little effect, not least because of the shortage of airfields. Whenever the Germans did try to gather a bomber force capable of hitting British targets, Allied airpower concentrated on their airfields to knock them out. Read the writings of Roly Beamont for an example. Had a large number of Me 262 bombers, with trained crews, been available to penetrate the Allied fighter cover over the beaches and hit the landing ships and troops hard, in co-operation with Panzer divisions in the right place at the right time, then maybe the invasion would have failed and opened possibilities for the Germans. That's a lot of suppositions, and such a fleet of Me 262s belongs in Dreamland. You might also bear in mind that the likeliest result of a failed invasion and protracted war would have been an atom bomb on Berlin or Hamburg.
Old 1st July 2007, 02:13

George Hopp

It was not Hitler who first envisaged the Me 262 as a bomber, but Willy Messerschmitt, who at least twice told Hitler what a great bomber the Me 262 would make and that it would take just a few weeks to convert the a/c to a bomber. After the 2nd time he told this to Hitler, Hitler gave a Fuehrer Directive for this to be done, but Messerschmitt did nothing. I think that was in either late 1943 or very early 1944. Then in April 1944, when Hitler asked about this Blitz bomber, and found out that Mtt had done nothing, he gave his order that no more fighters would be built until the bombers were completed, and even this order was partially ignored.
Old 1st July 2007, 11:57
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

The refusal to allow the 262 below 4000 metres over enemy territory until late October 1944 didn't help (and then only for "important targets"). At that altitude without a bomb sight, effectiveness would be rather limited, I'd guess.
Old 1st July 2007, 16:32
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

This is a difficult topic. Hitler actually already ordered in the first quarter of 1943 that every fighter aircraft must be capable of carrying bombs. Due to this order Messerschmitt engineers planned a maximum capacity of 500 kg for the Me 262 already in early 1943 (project drawing II/141). Hence, the optional use of the Me 262 as a fighter bomber was planned long before the famous Insterburg "Airshow" in November 1944 or the meeting on 23 May 1945. Messerschmitt told Hitler at the Insterburg airshow that the Me 262 could be used as a fighter bomber. The reasons are that first he knew that at least some work had been done already to use the Me 262 as a fighter bomber and secondly he wanted to avoid that the program Me 209 was stopped in favour of a fighter aircraft Me 262. His estimations for conversion time were very optimistic, however: 14 days (2 Nov 1944). However, the electrical wiring diagram and the bomb racks were not designed yet. A Messerschmitt memo of 30 April 1943 mentions that it was decided to install the necessary equipment only in V-9 and later V-aircraft in order not to disturb the construction of V-aircraft and to assure useful starting conditions at the introduction of the Me 262 at operational units. In July 1943 the preparations for the pre series production were almost completed and the focus should - according to another memo from July 1943 - be on the fighter bomber conversion. At the beginning of 1944 work on the bomb installations were progressing and it was intended to introduce bomb installations from the 6 serial production Me 262 onwards. Hence, in my opinion it was just a matter of priority. Messerschmitt did work on the bomb system for the Me 262 but only after the preparations for the pre series production were completed and probably also then not with full capacity as there were still a lot of other problems to be solved (e.g. the feeding mechanism of the Mk 108 had severe problems). It might have been possible to have the bomb system ready earlier if Messerschmitt focused 100% on this, but then the pre series production might have been delayed and with it also the operational use of the Me 262.

The problems later arose due to technical and tactical shortcomings: the two main tanks of the initial design did not hold enough capacity and the range of the Me 262 with bomb load would have been too little. This required a new fuel tank (600 liters). Through this increased weight the landing gear had to be strengthened and two of 4 MK 108 had to be removed. Since the 600liter tank was in the rear and the weight of 2 MK108 in the nose was removed the aircraft was now extremely tail heavy after releasing the bombs. In addition, an appropriate gunsight had not yet been developed and in the end led to the use of the standard Revi 16B and the development of the Lotfe Me 262 with a seperate bomb aimer.

To come back to the original question: The range was too low without the additional fuel tank to fly it over England. Even with the fuel tank, it hardly flew longer than 1 hour. And even if it was possible the result would have been almost nothing.

Regards
Roger Gaemperle

Last edited by Roger Gaemperle; 1st July 2007 at 17:06.
Old 1st July 2007, 17:09
Alter Hase

This discussion has made me consider something I've never seen discussed anywhere. Given that Hitler did see the need for a fast bomber to hit the Allies in the first stages of the landing, why wasn't the German industry devoting time to answering this call?
Old 1st July 2007, 17:23
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I have a question too: why did the Germans introduce the R4M so late?

Was there some technological barrier to be overcome or did they spend time on more complex anti-bomber ideas (big guns, bigger guided rockets) before coming back to the relative simplicity of an unguided rocket?

Supplementary question: does anyone know what kind of smoke trail an R4M left, if any? Dense, thin, black, white?
Old 1st July 2007, 18:36

Fairlop

Quote:
...and protracted war would have been an atom bomb on Berlin or Hamburg.
Graham,

It interested me the targets. Were there hypotheses about use of atom bomb(s) against Third Reich that far ?

Regards,
Michal
Old 1st July 2007, 22:10
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlop View Post
Graham,

It interested me the targets. Were there hypotheses about use of atom bomb(s) against Third Reich that far ?

Regards,
Michal
The atom bomb was developed to be dropped on Germany, but the targets in my posting were from my own imagination.
Closed Thread