Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 24th January 2009, 14:42

Dave Homewood is on a distinguished road
LAST STAND IN SINGAPORE - The Story of 488 Squadron RNZAF

Review: By Dave Homewood
LAST STAND IN SINGAPORE - The Story of 488 Squadron RNZAF
By Graham Clayton

I thought that I knew a bit about No. 488 Squadron and its actions in Singapore. However I have just read 'Last Stand in Singapore' by Graham Clayton (Random House, 2008, ISBN 978 1 86979 033 2) and I am amazed at how much I have learned. 488 was the first RNZAF fighter squadron, and has become well known, mentioned in many books. However other books have never really detailed the incredible hardships, the toil, the fear, the dedication, the willingness to fight despite lack of experience and lack of decent equipment - and dare I say it the very poor decision making and defensive planning by the British, like this one does.
Graham Clayton is the son of one of the 488 Squadron airmen, Bert Clayton. This book tell's Bert's story and also gives a day by day account of all the other 488 members from the squadron's formation and right through the arduous battles as Japan entered the war and enforced its onslaught upon the Malayan Peninsular, Singapore and then Java. It draws from many interviews, diaries and writings by various 488 Squadron members, as well as official records and lots of research into the background of these battles.
The battle for Singapore was sheer hell for these men, and made the attack on Pearl Harbor pale in comparison. Through the three months of constant bombardment and attack this book tells of the heroism and dedication of the New Zealanders who carried on regardless while other squadrons were pulling out; keeping not only their own aircraft in the air but also those of other squadrons all over the island; these men never shirked in their duty for one moment while around them massed units from Australia were deserting their posts and allowing the Japanese a free hand to over-run key points.
There were many surpises in this book for me, and I learned a great deal.
It's astounding how this story has never been fully told properly before in this way. This is a very nicely presented book, well laid out and easy to read. It has 284 pages within its soft covers, and illustrated with many dozens of unique photos. I highly recommend this book. I have found it difficult to put down, it's a gripping read. It is still available in shops and online so make sure you grab a copy now. The RRP is NZ$36.99
Old 26th January 2009, 02:14
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: LAST STAND IN SINGAPORE - The Story of 488 Squadron RNZAF

Thank you for the review. A few words if I may. Heroism is always to be admired, but sometimes stories are not fully told if they include details like desertion, especially not long after the fact. I'm not sure if anyone can properly define the line between, it's too soon to tell this story and time enough has passed and survivors and family, might be more inclined to remember the hardships. Add to that the years of research, combining details and then the actual time to write it all down in a compelling manner.

Regards,
Ed