Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 17th April 2021, 11:01
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
Re: Air Battles over Hungary 1944-45

Hi Jim -thanks, yes I'm still working on the Nachtjagd Combat Archive series, 1944 Part 5 will be published shortly (finished the first proofs of this new volume last weekend). I am now working on the volume in the NCA series covering the night airwar over SE Europe and the Eastern Front, hence my question re. the book about the airwar over Hungary.

Cheers, Theo
Old 18th April 2021, 10:01

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

Good news, thanks. Will keep an eye out.

ASWWIAH Member
Old 29th June 2021, 23:58

Burdokva is on a distinguished road

I read the book a few weeks ago. Overall, very good read and feels like a solid research. Two minor gripes, often there are no direct source quotation in the text, and the introductionery chapter ('The Drebetzen Offensive') felt a bit haphazard.

There are mentions of night time operations of both sides, as well as some statistics (unit strength, types available, etc.) but Khazanov doesn't into great detail as compared to the daytime operations. It's VVS-centric but he gives a fair amount of accounts from the Axis side.

Some very upfront conclusions about the performance of the VVS, the Luftwaffe and Royal Hungarian AF.

I can definitely recommend it to anyone with interest on the Eastern Front, especially the late war. I don't think there are many English volumes covering the 1944-45 period in the East (please correct me if I am wrong on this)?
Old 8th September 2021, 09:21

Schlageter is on a distinguished road

Two questions regarding the conception of the book.

Khazanov is supposedly a kind of controversial author so I would like to know if the book is well researched and without bias.

I understand that the book is focusing on the Russian side but are the Luftwaffe operations covered in detail at all and are some not published before German first-hand accounts (preferably not from the known aces) included?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best

Michael

Last edited by Schlageter; 8th September 2021 at 09:26. Reason: Spelling mistake