Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st July 2021, 00:34

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Strategic Culture in the Luftwaffe – Did it Exist in World War II?

Full academic research paper:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...43042000344803

This work may create serious consternation with some...

Bronc
Old 31st July 2021, 13:01
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Strategic Culture in the Luftwaffe – Did it Exist in World War II?

Not an academic paper as such but an Advanced Staff College paper
Old 31st July 2021, 18:16

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

I started reading this thing, but it lost credibility with me when the author claimed that Luftwaffe flying leaders early in the war commanded from the comfort of headquarters. A ridiculous and erroneous statement, as evidenced by the fact that my uncle, and many of his colleagues, flew combat at an 'advanced' age and always led from the front.
Old 31st July 2021, 18:30

richdlc will become famous soon enough

er, there's a strategic culture in all airforces surely
Old 31st July 2021, 22:09

MW Giles is on a distinguished road

It is a meaningless concept, by this definition all organisations have a strategic culture

I would also suggest that each unit within an Air Force will also have a similar, but subtly different culture.

You may have the most brilliant strategic culture but will still fail miserably if you have worse aircraft, tactics or numbers

Utterly pointless
Old 31st July 2021, 23:03
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

The word Strategic in the title does not belong there. This is more like an anthropological study along the lines of 'Certain Lost Tribes of the Amazon: Their Leaders, Culture, Rituals, and Symbols with Related Commentary.'

It reduces the wartime Luftwaffe to a series of formulas and borders on the mathematical. A list of the activities of these people, read as inputs, and the results. It lacks sufficient examples to place all persons, events
and activities mentioned into meaningful contexts which would provide enough information to prove the writer's points/conclusions, and increase the knowledge of the reader. It has little evidentiary value.

To put it another way, it is a look back at the wartime Luftwaffe and how they failed at efficient business management.
Old 1st August 2021, 02:58

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

Agreed. Beyond a few interesting anecdotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
It has little evidentiary value.
But, I would be interested in reading other Luftwaffe research if anyone has a link to it.

Bronc
Old 1st August 2021, 11:57

egbert is on a distinguished road

The Jagdflieger had a love of good food and of quality wine and spirits. Whenever poor weather or the operational tempo permitted, pilots would frequent high quality restaurants, eat expensive local delicacies and drink the best alcohol available.
Many of the less successful ‘flirters’ used prostitutes as a source of entertainment........Contemporary German aircrew share many of their forefathers’ traits and characteristics

Well I am a former wing commander Lw and certainly address my RAF colleague as biased, unfair and not applying the principles of scientific work codes while on staff college. I have serious comments on every para I actually wanted to stop at first page when he states the Lw was founded in 1954 (it was actually Jan 1956). It is not worthy a wing commander RAF to blubber such sociopathy nonsense and claiming unproven, unfounded bs. Most likely he was an exchange pilot with a Lw unit and could not cope with the pace of life, thus-----revenge 2006.
Old 1st August 2021, 13:01
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Dean is a Tornado Navigator and yes, did an exchange tour at Lechfeld. He is now an Air Cdre
Old 1st August 2021, 17:07

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

I did stop after the first two paragraphs.

First, the author suggests that there was some official "Experten"-designation in the Luftwaffe, which is not true (and also: I encounter the "Experten"-term much much more in English-language publications than in contemporary German texts or documents. In German, "Experte" ("expert") is used in very much the same way and in the same instances as in the English language. There is no particular meaning to it in the context of the former Luftwaffe)

Secondly: "Legion Condor" is spelled wrong.

Thirdly: Hartmann was not credited with 354 victories, but with 352. Also, no mentioning of the debate concerning the validity of these numbers.

These three things alone in the first two paragraphs tell me everything about this article I need to know. I wonder if "Defence Studies" is peer-reviewed at all..