Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd July 2015, 15:22

Black6 is on a distinguished road
Jagdflieger combat reports WW2

Apologies for the newbie question gentlemen.

Please can anybody tell me if any of the Jagdflieger combat reports from WW2 have survived in the archives.

As an example I see that Uffz Gerhard Beutin (3/JG54) claimed an I-16 on 2 Aug 1942 and his victory was confirmed Anerk. Nr. 318.

Presumably after communication/verification with RLM ? or was that a local "authorization/verification" ?

I'm hoping that detailed combat reports might have survived in a similar way to the RAF Fighter Command combat reports at London National Archives.

Thanks for your advice. Peter

Last edited by Black6; 4th July 2015 at 14:26.
Old 6th July 2015, 08:19
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Jagdflieger combat reports WW2

I am afraid that few survived unlike those at the NA
Old 6th July 2015, 13:45

Is there any way to search Chris ? Does it need a visit to view paper indecies at BA-MA ?
thanks Peter
Old 6th July 2015, 16:36
Alter Hase

I have been asked to post this in response to your query; it comes from one far more knowledgeable than I:

You have to write a victory report, a combat report and a witness report from a witness. Then you got a small confirmation sheet from RLM / OKW.
The doubtful were victories with "different" stories.
Like "das Flugzeug sturzte brennend ab" and "das Flugzeug brannte hell".
This were different descriptions and the victory was called ASM and not confirmed.
Also you have to see the ac crashing on the ground. Steinhoff made a victory over a soviet ac and saw the pilot bailing out. This victory was not confirmed.
But Steinhoff, now at JG 77 wrote back, that it is about impossible, that the pilotless ac reached safely the home airfield. ( No. 156 at JG 52 )
Old 6th July 2015, 16:48

hucks216 is on a distinguished road

There are two such things on the market at present. One is the slip of paper issued by RLM, while the second consists of 5 pages of witness reports etc. The two items are for different pilots/units.

Edit: Just to clarify, these are not from my collection and I am not the seller (although I do know who that is). Posted for relevance to the question.

Last edited by hucks216; 15th April 2019 at 17:48.
Old 8th July 2015, 12:23

Thanks Gents
I am interested in finding out if any of that sort of victory documentation (anything at all) has survived in the archives for several aces such as Ofw Beutin. The aim being to obtain copies of his combat reports and learn more about his actions.

I'm particularly interested in any combat narratives like the British ones in London National Archives, ie: "at 0900 at 5,000 feet above Canterbury closed in on an enemy aircraft to 150 feet, fired a short burst, hits noted on engine nacelle and starboard wing, engine began to smoke, heavy return fire, fired a second burst, etc, etc".

thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 17:37
Alter Hase

I am afraid I refer you back to my first post. If there were any in BA/MA, we would have known about it. Some were kept by families/individuals, some are in private collections, most destroyed or lost and yes, the full combat report would include a narrative. With your man, it is luck of the draw and there are JG 54 experts around who might confirm one way or the other