Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 7th February 2023, 15:02
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bf 109 Jabo Units in the West (Combat Aircraft, 149)

Bit of artistic license as well-highly unlikely that Liesendahl would have flown this attack profile as it goes against what he devised and taught!
Old 7th February 2023, 15:25
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2014/1...blt-frank.html

Fritz Schröter recalled the training sorties flown by 6. Staffel - the so-called Jagdbomber Staffel;

" ..Some distance to the north of Beaumont-le-Roger- in the Seine estuary to be exact- lay a ship wreck which made an ideal target for our training exercises. We approached it at wave-top height or from the direction of the shore at low altitude. At a precise distance from the target we would pull up three hundred metres before diving back down towards the wreck, throwing the throttle wide open in order to make ourselves as difficult a target as possible for potential anti-aircraft gunners. The bomb would be jettisoned just before the target disappeared beneath the nose of the aircraft, followed by a sharp pull-up which took us virtually through the masts and superstructure of the vessel. If we had judged the distance and speed correctly, the bomb struck the ship at the waterline. A 250 kg bomb could tear a breech large enough to sink a ship. Otherwise a near miss would detonate with the force of a sea mine. However during training we only employed 50 kg bombs -which had far less explosive force- in order not to totally destroy our practice target..."
Old 7th February 2023, 15:34
Alter Hase

Precisely-the Liesendahl Method as it was known
Old 7th February 2023, 16:21
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

I do take my hat to the artist Jim Laurier on that cover and other works he did for Osprey.
What made me comment about this cover is justly, this different angle (or approach) where he (artist) managed to show us the ship below, the markings of the Staffelkapitän's machine, the bomb, etc.; on a same frame or painting. I particularly appreciated his work and view...
Maybe it would be difficult to paint the machine on the sharp pull-out, just after releasing the bomb...so one or more second on the run, for our benefit (customers) can, maybe, be disconsidered here.
Since the full book has not appeared yet, I can not judge the inside contents, but the cover, on my humble opinion do capture the difficult tasks required by Higher Authorities and on the shoulders of those flyers...to hit (and run) moving and defended targets (ships), over water (or ports) without guided bombs or missiles.
I am unfamiliar, if the Luftwaffe later used the "skip-bombing" technique well used by some B-25 (and other twins) on the SWP Theater of Operations.
Maybe more tittles and beautiful covers keep appearing, both related to the LW, RAF and USAAC in WW2.
Semper Fi.
Old 7th February 2023, 16:49
Alter Hase

If you get a copy of my Luftwaffe Fighter Bombers over Britain, such techniques are related, including one quite spectacular attack on Bournemouth on 23 May 1943 when the bomb bounced over a house, missing a girl reading in the garden, and then exploded on the railway embankment. Meanwhile the bomb tail which had broken off rolled to a stop alongside her
Old 7th February 2023, 18:36
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
Nick -

IIRC, P/W interrogations from September and/or October 1940 corroborate the ULTRA intelligence you provided but go on to say that the selected factory-trained Jagdstaffel maintenance personnel were then doing at least some of the installation work in the field as previously stated.

L. deZ.
Thanks Larry. Conversions carried out "in the field" certainly, but "ad hoc" not so much, I'd say.

Last edited by Nick Beale; 7th February 2023 at 23:28. Reason: Typo.
Old 8th February 2023, 00:28

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

There are several recorded incidents of Fw 190s and Do 217s skip bombing in England.
Old 8th February 2023, 02:08
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

To clarify/add to my earlier post on page 1.

3. Staffel of Erprobungsgruppe 210 received factory-fresh Bf 109 E fighter-bombers with a single bomb rack under the fuselage. Nothing was done 'in the field'.

3. Staffel's first fighter-bomber mission was on 13th July 1940. They were the first Bf 109 fighter-bomber Staffel in the BoB.

(Sources: interviews with (Oberleutnant) Otto Hintze, Staffelkapitän of 3. Staffel; Otto Hintz Flugbuch; letter from Peter Emmerich, pilot of 3. Staffel.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 19th February 2023, 02:58

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that the blurb, provided as part of the advertising, is a short synopsis paraphrasing the content and written by an editor, rather than an extract of the author's work?
Were not the first "Luftwaffe" jabos, repurposed He51 fighters in Spain, when the Condor Legion pilots strapped incendiaries onto the centreline drop tanks for greater effect as dropped ordnance?

Might prove an interesting read, despite possible first appearances.

...geoff
Old 19th February 2023, 15:21
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Yes, Geoff. My recollection was from a P/W interrogation and it referred to the September-October 1940 time frame. The P/W, almost certainly a pilot, said a designated Staffel from each Bf 109 Jagdgruppe in the Pas de Calais area had been ordered retrofitted with bomb racks in the field. I have also seen reference to this in several published works among the bazillions of books and articles written about the BofB since the early 1960's. Maybe since I read this it's been discounted by more recent research, but I know what I saw.

L. deZ.