Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th November 2008, 20:41

Simonspitfire is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Service Records

I am new to this site and maybe this thread has been raised before. I am currently researching a Luftwaffe Flight Engineer who was killed in action during the Battle of Britain with KG 55. Do the German Archives have a similar record like our Squadron ORB's and is it easy to obtain service records? Can anyone help me with contact addresses in Germany please for these records.
Old 6th November 2008, 23:03
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe Service Records

I will try to advise you regarding your query, and I think others in the know will probably echo what I say.

German WW2 military service records were held at one time in a records section in Aachen/Kornelimunster. These were then transferred to a central archive in Berlin, the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt), in Eichborndamm 61. At one time, such service records were available to researchers/authors, but in more recent times it has become more difficult to obtain details, since in the normal course of events such details would only be released to next-of-kin/relatives.

So, doing the kind of research that you are seeking to do today is far more difficult than 20-30 years ago.

Sorry for being the bearer of potential bad news, but that's the way it is today.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 7th November 2008, 00:15
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Simon

While you are here....

The photo you showed me earlier of G1+GM is not the same G1+GM (W.Nr 2165) down at Waterlooville on 26 August 1940. If you check the positioning of the swastika on your pic you will see that it partly overlaps the rudder. On the Waterlooville aircraft it was positioned fully on the fin without overlap to the rudder. The Waterlooville a/c is see here:

Last edited by Andy Saunders; 23rd March 2010 at 15:40.
Old 7th November 2008, 01:15
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, guys.

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding here John. The records from Aachen were not transferred to WASt, the records held there are the Namentliche verlustemeldungen mostly.

The service records or Fliegerkartei data were transferred from Aachen to Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg im Breisgau.

A separate Referat or Records group has been set up there to handle these records.

According to the information I got on my last visit, they are currently holding about 90000+ original wartime service records for Luftwaffe personnel, plus an additional 10-20000 records put together after the war from documents collected in Aachen from various sources including of course veterans themselves.

Most of these records are related to personnel that were career soldiers (thus mostly officers that went through the proper schools to become officers).

Hope this is of help.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 7th November 2008, 03:13
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Andreas,

Interesting. When I last contacted Aachen many years ago to check on a service history of a ZG 1 person, I was advised by them that their records had been moved to the Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin. I knew the Nam Ver were in Berlin, so I presumed that they were centralising all of the service personnel details. Apologies if I have misled.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 7th November 2008, 08:35
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasco View Post
Andreas,

Interesting. When I last contacted Aachen many years ago to check on a service history of a ZG 1 person, I was advised by them that their records had been moved to the Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin. I knew the Nam Ver were in Berlin, so I presumed that they were centralising all of the service personnel details. Apologies if I have misled.
You are partly right. According to a message I recived from Kornelienmünster at the time they were closing down, all officer-records were transferred to BA/MA Freiburg, and all nco-records were in fact transferred to WASt in Berlin.

Junker
Old 7th November 2008, 09:09

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread as I plan to go to Freiburg to ask for some of these personal documents...
I have been in Aachen 4/5 years ago and the Officer files were already gone to Freiburg. So I am hunting these down still...

Can it distinguished, which ranks were NCOs and are possibly in Berlin, and which were the officer ranks that are in Freiburg now? Can it be sorted like this to ease my request at BAMA?

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 7th November 2008, 10:53

rob van den nieuwendijk

Hello all,

See this link for further details:

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/bestaende...125/index.html

Zum 31.12.2005 wurde die Zentralnachweisstelle (ZNS) in Aachen-Kornelimünster aufgelöst. Die Zuständigkeiten für die Ausstellung von Dienstnachweisen oder anderen Bescheinigungen aus der Zeit von 1920 bis 1945 haben sich dadurch verändert.

Für Bescheinigungen zu ehemals Angehörigen des Heeres, der Reichs- und Kriegsmarine, der Luftwaffe, der Waffen-SS, Beamte, zu Angestellten und Arbeitern der Wehrmacht, zu Angehörige des gesamten männlichen und weiblichen Wehrmachtgefolges, der Organisation Todt und des Reichsarbeitsdienstes sowie bei Nachweisen über Kriegsgefangenschaft und zur Klärung von Vermisstenschicksalen wenden Sie sich bitte an:

Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt)
Eichborndamm 167 – 179
13403 Berlin
Internet: www.dd-wast.de

Für Auskünfte aus den Personalakten der Offiziere und Beamten der Wehrmacht wenden Sie sich bitte an:

Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv
Wiesentalstraße 10
79115 Freiburg/Brsg.
E-mail: militaerarchiv@barch.bund.de

Unterlagen über wehrmachtgerichtliche Verfahren sowie die Verleihung von Orden und Ehrenzeichen liegen, soweit erhalten, gleichfalls im Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv vor.

Für Bescheinigungen zu Dienstzeiten aus dem Bereich der Polizei sollte zunächst bei den Nachfolgebehörden der früheren Polizei(heimat)dienststellen angefragt werden, sofern diese ihren Sitz im Gebiet der Bundesrepublik Deutschland haben. Hat eine solche Anfrage keinen Erfolg oder lag die Polizei(heimat)dienststelle außerhalb der Grenzen der Bundesrepublik Deutschland vom 3.Oktober 1990, sollte eine Anfrage an das Bundesarchiv gerichtet gerichtet werden.

Bundesarchiv
Postfach 450 569
12175 Berlin
Email: berlin@barch.bund.de

Falls es erforderlich ist, beteiligen die Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) und das Bundesarchiv andere Stellen, die über weitere Unterlagen verfügen.

Regards
Rob
Old 7th November 2008, 18:07

Simonspitfire is on a distinguished road

Many thanks to everyone who took the time and supplied this info, I'm sure I will get some sort of reply if I write to all the addresses given.Great site for help.