Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st March 2011, 13:00

g-1reaper is on a distinguished road
Nicknames Hungarian recce groups

Hello all,
I am looking for the nicknames of the reconnaissance groups operated by the Hungarians - these were numbered 1 to 8 and later up to 10. Types operated were the Weiss WM-21, Heinkel 45 and FW-189. Timeframe 1939 - 1944. If possible, i'd like to know the Hungarian names with English translations.
Many thanks in advance,
Edwin
Old 21st March 2011, 15:48
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Nicknames Hungarian recce groups

Edwin, try this book:
Sarhidai, Gyula, Gyorgy Punka, and Viktor Kozlik:
Hungarian Eagles: The Hungarian Air Forces, 1920-1945
Aldershot, UK: Hikoki Publications, 1997
ISBN 0 9519899 1 X
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:45

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-1reaper View Post
Hello all,
I am looking for the nicknames of the reconnaissance groups operated by the Hungarians - these were numbered 1 to 8 and later up to 10. Types operated were the Weiss WM-21, Heinkel 45 and FW-189. Timeframe 1939 - 1944. If possible, i'd like to know the Hungarian names with English translations.
Many thanks in advance,
Edwin
Edwin,

Could you refine your request? Are you looking for the units which saw actual combat and only the short-range reconnaissance units?
Incidentally, these were squadrons (and not like the British/US size squadrons, but smaller ones). At first, there was a regiment (which staff could do not to much, since these squadrons were subordinated to the ground units directly). Later the regiment was disbanded and two groups were formed (both with two squadrons each) and at the end of the war, after another reforming a new photo reco group was formed (with two squadrons).
Old 23rd March 2011, 02:34

peter.werry is on a distinguished road

Hello Edwin,
As Csaba says, these were squadrons (szazad) rather than groups (osztalty) and were called 'Kozelfelderito szazad' (Tactical or Short-Range Reconnaissance Squadrons) and were designated by Roman numerals. They are:
I Hollo -Raven
II Lucifer -(Devil)
III Somogyi Bicska -(Winged) Pocket Knife of Somogy
IV Voros Kakas -Red Rooster
V Paprikas Boszorkany -Paprika Witch
VI Csikos -Horseherd
VII Kocsonyas Beka -(literally) Jelly Frog
VIII Ludas Matyi -(a folklore character)
IV Solyom -Falcon
X Solyomzem -Hawkeye
All of the above are abstacted fom 'Hungarian Eagles' that Denes detailed and it also shows all the emblems for the above squadrons. I thoroughly recommend this book. As I am a 'computer dummy', I do not know how to put the appropriate accents on the Hungarian words, so I apologise to our Hungarian members and hope that one of them will add the relevant accents and perhaps refine the descriptions.
Regards
Peter
Old 24th March 2011, 01:23

peter.werry is on a distinguished road

Hello Again,
When looking at my previous post I notice that 'Hungarian Eagles' abstract has two designations for IV szazad, namely Voros Kakas which was used 1935-1938 and then Solyom used for 1938-1942 after which time it was redesignated as III szazad. I the above book there is also another Kozelfelderito szazad called Taltos -Pegasus (winged horse) assigned to the 1 & 2 cavalry regiments during 1939; could this be the missing IX szazad?
Regards
Peter