Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th April 2014, 13:35
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: Graham Hulse

Always good fun. Hulse has given me a focus too look into the DAF in the Mediterranean and Balkans. Your questions allowed me to look through my books again to confirm my hypothesis and re-generate my research into this subject, so thanks to you too :-)

best regards

Keith
Old 27th November 2015, 22:05
Alter Hase

More of Graham Hulse. I have recently read Hap Kennedy's autobiography and it seems 93 Squadron had been rebuilt in September 1943 after suffering heavy losses through both enemy action and other causes unspecified. It seems possible that Hulse was one of the replacements which would explain him not going to the Far East.

Although TOE implied that he was commissioned on 29 May 1943 that seems unlikely given than he had only been promoted FSgt sometime after 28 April 1943 and therefore 1944 is more likely, possibly as a result of his successful bale-out and evasion. He is still being recalled by Duncan-Smith as a Sergeant pilot in May 1944. Promotion to FO would then fall on 29 November 1944 which ties in with his mention in Barnfathers book as a FO with 94 Squadron on 8 December 1944 and on 4 January 1945.

Adjustment of his tally post war would indicate 3 destroyed, one probable and 3 damaged over German, Bulgarian and Croatian His subsequent victories in Korea make him a very interesting subject for research.
Old 28th November 2015, 03:43

Tom Semenza

Keith,

Have you consulted the London Gazette? Hulse was promoted from F/Sgt. to P/O on probation on 29 May 1943, to F/O on 29 Nov. 1943, and to F/L on 29 May 1945. In the field however, the news of promotions often lagged by weeks or months, particularly in combat zones away from the UK. Also it was not uncommon for pilots to receive promotion to acting F/L or S/L. Hulse was already an acting Flight Lt. in 213 Sqn. prior to his official promotion after the war in Europe was over.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 28th November 2015, 08:31
Alter Hase

Cheers Tom, my bad - I hadn't seen that Pretty rapid promotion for Hulse given that he only joined his first squadron less than a year earlier.. however I suppose the fact that he had been in the RAF since he joined in 1937 as an apprentice may have weighed in.

regards

Keith