Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st June 2006, 20:11

Wayne Welford is on a distinguished road
RAF 156 Sqdn Lancaster Crash Site

Hi There,
I am looking for some help on behalf of my grandfather.

His bestmate Gerald Peter Robert Bond,DFC.(Better known to his mates as Peter Bond) was a Lancaster pilot with 101 Sqdn and later with 156 Pathfinder Sqdn.
I have information on the crew and crash date of this aircraft it is as follows, Lancaster III ND384 GT-D shot down on the return journey from a successful raid on Berlin on the night of 1/2 Jan 1944.

The information that I am looking for is that British records show this aircraft crashed at Grandreu,Belgium. But other information I have received from Luftwaffe reports says this Lancaster was shot down at
Estines au Val Belgium.
I would dearly love to know which is correct and if anyone can help, my grandfather and I would greatly appreciate it.

Also if anyone may have a photograph of P/O Bond or crew/aircraft could you also please let me know.

Thankyou very much for your time.
Wayne
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:03

montana is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF 156 Sqdn Lancaster Crash Site

Hi Wayne !

The Lanc III (ND384/GT-D) from 156 Sqn was shot down at 05.15 h on January 2 1944 by the Hptm. Ludwig Meister, Staffelkapitän of the 1./NJG 4, and crashed at Estinnes-au-Val near the road going to Bray. All members of the crew were killed. Among them there was the P/O Allan Morassi, who was the son of Giuseppe and Furina Morassi coming from Brussels.

At Grandrieu, it was the Lanc I (DV308/SR-V) from 101 Sqn. This aircraft was shot down at 05.45 h by the Kommandeur of the NJG 4, Wilhelm Herget.

Kindest regards.
Old 2nd June 2006, 18:12

Wayne Welford is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF 156 Sqdn Lancaster Crash Site

Montana,
thankyou for your reply.

Please dont be offended but may I ask how you come about your information ?

I have been in touch with a chap in Belgium called Pierre Vandervelden who runs a great website on war graves(well worth a visit) the information he gathered for me agrees with yours. www.inmemories.com

Some how I think a mistake was made many years ago on the part of the British regarding these records,the trouble is when a mistake is made so long ago it is hard to correct.

Also are you aware if this crash site has been excavated ?

Thanks again for your reply.
All the best
Wayne