Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Old 26th February 2008, 22:11
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Cause of the Korean War ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
such people like Atlee or Roosevelt, who were pro-Soviet, well beyond any logic. Many of them were Soviet agents, many were communists opposed to Stalin, nonetheless still actively working against 'imperialistic west'.
Franek, whatever your personal perpective/experience of Stalinism, I fear you are no authority on British and American politics. There were plenty of respectable and patriotic positions a person could hold in the Cold War that didn't entail devotion to Senator McCarthy and the John Birch Society.

It was Clement Attlee's government that took the decision to develop a British nuclear weapon, it was his government that committed British troops to the UN effort in Korea. If that was support for Stalin, it was a funny way of going about it. A bit of a bigger deal than selling three jet engines, I'd say.

Attlee's government also established the National Health Service that I was born into and the education system that allowed a kid of my background to get a university degree (in politics as it happens).
Old 27th February 2008, 02:42
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Nick
Please note that Korea was at the early 1950s. The events in the Soviet block at the end of 1940s caused a major change in approach towards Soviet Union and Stalin among western leftist circles as well as countries like Israel or Yugoslavia. Decisive were immediate post-war years, and in the period I cannot find any anti-Soviet decisions by Attlee.
Concerning NHS or NES, the question is if those systems still work. Based on what I have talked to British subjects (including natives), it does not. Such ideas work perfectly in a short term period when there are amassed resources, but then they become burden, and then lead everything to collapse. We know that very well form our Polish experience.
Well, the discussion drifts away from the subject, so if you are interested to continue, please, drop me an email.
Old 27th February 2008, 09:52
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Nick
Concerning NHS or NES, the question is if those systems still work.
Yes they do and are used by the overwhelming majority of the British people (93% of children use the state education system for example).
Old 27th February 2008, 14:16
Alter Hase

Nick
My late friend from Norwich area told me how long it would take him to wait for a surgery. It was not weeks nor months. Similarly friends from London and Coventry talked me a lot about their education system, no different than in Exeter, I believe? Anyway, I may assure you of one thing, those systems will collapse if still working anywhere.
Old 11th April 2008, 09:38
Alter Hase

Nick, how about that?

Tom Pretty, before he died after contracting a superbug in a hospital where he was admitted for breaking his arm
His family thought of him as Bulletproof Tom - the RAF gunner who refused to succumb to his terrible wounds.

Tom Pretty was read the last rites after losing half his right arm and having most of his face burned off in a Second World War air crash.

He survived and earned a place in the Guinea Pig Club of injured airmen whose bodies were rebuilt by pioneering plastic surgery.

But more than 60 years later he found one enemy he could not resist - the C.diff superbug, which he caught in an NHS hospital. He died last week aged 86 at his home near Diss, Norfolk.

Yesterday his grieving family blamed "filthy" conditions for the loss of their father.

They claim the floors of Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital were covered in dirt, while nurses dealt with Mr Pretty without protective gloves and clothing to stop the spread of infection.

His son John, 60, who still runs the garage business in Diss set up by Mr Pretty when he left the RAF in 1952, said: "It's an outrage. We've lost all confidence in the NHS.

"We always thought he was bulletproof - he survived so much and was such a brave man."

http://thefew.info/TomPretty.html
Old 12th April 2008, 00:41
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Franek,

To take an isolated example does not prove anything about the general running of the NHS in Britain. Superbugs exist, that's a fact of life. People die from infections in hospital - that's a fact of life, and it's sad.

My own experience of the NHS? Heart attack on 8th August 2001. Didn't even know it. Drove to the doctor's surgery and walked in. Hospitalised for a week. Very well looked after. A triple heart bypass in Papworth on 23rd March 2002. I developed pneumonia a day or so later, but pulled through - lucky me. Staff at Papworth were magnificient. Sorry for the bleeding heart stuff, but this is the simple truth.

As sure as there's a hole in our arse we're all gonna die someday. And when that day comes, there's shit-all we can do about it. Until then, live life to the full.

A friend of mine, who I'd known from the age of 6 or 7, and was the bass player in the first band I was in, died 4 years ago in his early 50s; in 1999 the guitarist in one of the groups I was in died of meningitis in his mid-40s - shit happens, Man, get over it.

But don't come on here and run down the NHS system when (I believe) you have no experience of it whatsoever. Oh yes, my two grandchildren were born in the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital - no problems there.

Apologies to the Mods for posting totally off-topic, but I felt that an experiential answer was required in response to Franek's broad brush assertions about the NHS system in the UK.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 12th April 2008, 04:19
Alter Hase

John
Sorry, but your argument of having no first hand experience sounds like you cannot write about Me 110 because you never flew it. Nonetheless I may assure you that I know a story or two on NHS, also because of family reasons. I also happen to know just too well how Polish health care system works, and it is not that much dissimilar from yours. The point is that such a structure cannot be efficient, and must collapse one day. Otherwise why Polish personnel is employed by NHS? I can imagine the previous system was not perfect, and I may not know what is the better solution, but it will not change the facts.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:41
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Old 12th April 2008, 11:36
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
John
Sorry, but your argument of having no first hand experience sounds like you cannot write about Me 110 because you never flew it.
Simply not analageous. Don't even bother...

"...Otherwise why Polish personnel is employed by NHS?" Because the EU allows movement between countries, and they just might believe that living in the UK is actually better than living in your country. A bitter pill to swallow for you, I know, but it is probably true.

So why don't you quit all this fucking around, stick to the topic and stop baiting others like you have done with Nick Beale.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 12th April 2008, 12:29
Alter Hase

John
It is simple, because there are vacancies, because British people do not want to work in the system.
Fucking around? Yes, mate, just because of your bloody bastard, Mr PM Attlee, millions of people died around the word. It is the bloody reason to bait around.