Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th February 2014, 18:37

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road
Wilhelm Batz on 7.Dec.1943 and Franz Kurowski

According to the book "Major Wilhelm Batz" written by F.Kurowski, on 7.Dec.43 Batz's Bf109 during the attack against a Soviet vessel in Kerch Strait was damaged and belly landed on Bagerowo airfield. Batz was injured during the landing.

The description of the action looks like the awry reflection of the real attack against MTB "AKA-96".

But JFV and Barbas says nothing about the damage of II./JG52's Bf109 that day and about Batz's injury.

I know that Kurowski is very specific author. But something happened with Wilhelm Batz on 7.Dec.43 really because he hadn't any claim between that day and 10.Feb.44, despite heavy actions of II./JG52 during that timeframe.

Whether is known something about that event?

Best regards,
Andrey
Old 6th February 2014, 09:43
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wilhelm Batz on 7.Dec.1943 and Franz Kurowski

Hi Andrey

If Franz Kurowski's "Luftwaffe Aces" book from 1996 is anything to go by, I wouldn't believe too much of the contents.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 6th February 2014, 10:05

Hi Johannes,

Kurowski's countless trash books are unreliable sources, no doubts. But even Kurowski can't write without some pieces of the real info

The question is where was Wilhelm Batz between 7.Dec.43 and 10.Feb.44. Something has happened with him on 7.Dec.43 (or later a bit).

Best regards,
Andrey
Old 6th February 2014, 11:38
Alter Hase

Hi Andrey

I worked with Bernd Barbas on JG 52's claims, but not losses. Bernd purchased his JG 52 losses from somebody, they seem not to have included this particular action. But I do have the Luftwaffe losses on micro film, which does cover this period, and can tell you Batz does not appear on them at all, unfortunately I don't have losses for 1944 just 1939-1943 and 1945. If a pilot wrecks his aircraft say on landing but is unharmed, they will record the aircraft lose, but not mention normally the pilot. In this case they record no losses for 7th December 1943 for the whole of JG 52.
Can't answer where he was, if on leave he should still remain recorded as Staffelkapitän. He was awarded the DKiG on 28th January 1944........at the end of this dry period, perhaps he was on leave and was decorated whilst away from the front, or upon his return, and he began to score again a few days later!

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 6th February 2014, 18:37

Hi Johannes,

GQM return for 7.Dec.43 losses mayby among the missed 1944 loss returns.

Is two months a usual leave length for the fighter pilot on 1943/44?

Whether the Batz's ligbook survived?

Kind regards,
Andrey
Old 7th February 2014, 12:48
Alter Hase

Hi Andrey

Logbooks when completed I believe were supposed to be handed back to authorities, and a long serving pilot would completed two or three during the war. A lot were stolen by American troops rather than American authorities at the end of the war, and generally they didn't supply as much detail as the micro films i.e usually claims were mentioned, but lacking exact crash-site and times. Bernd Barbas did give me Batz's 1945 claim details, so I guess he has, or once had access to Batz last logbook, I can ask him, but don't be hopeful as he would have picked-up on it in his books, moreover I don't have the 1944 micro film losses, but they do exist, and when he purchased JG 52's losses they seem to have been included.

Regarding a two month break, that would be the norm after receiving the Ritterkreuz or higher awards, but Batz's were just after this time period. There are hardly any claims for JG 52 during July 1944 because they were hopping from place to place and obviously not all on leave. It's rather a mystery, other pilots at the same unit were making claims, again I'll ask Bernd.

Perhaps he was sick?

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 7th February 2014, 23:39
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

One of Batz's FB is out there amongst those that collect and trade such things. It covers the period from 20-May-42 through 8-Dec-43.

As for Kurowski's books, my impression is that they make for interesting reading, I mean in most cases they are the only narrative source beyond a summary bio for a lot of these pilots. Where they fall down is that his telling of events always seem to chronologically challenged, to be polite about it.
Old 8th February 2014, 00:56

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Yes, a good rule of thumb is to check the dates of pilots' significant victories as listed in Kurowski and then compare them to other sources.

...You soon see that 'chronologically challenged' is an understatement.
Old 8th February 2014, 09:37

Hi Johannes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
again I'll ask Bernd.
Thank you in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
There are hardly any claims for JG 52 during July 1944 because they were hopping from place to place and obviously not all on leave.
You probably means "January", not "July"? And all January 1944 II./JG52 based in Crimea.

Kind Regards
Andrey
Old 8th February 2014, 10:22

udf_00 is on a distinguished road

Is two months a usual leave length for the fighter pilot on 1943/44?
http://www.schifferbooks.com/the-war...1945-2169.html
pp89 to 92 :
On January 25, 1944 I scored my 87th and 88th kills in one sortie. That was the end of operational flying for me until I went on leave on February 2......
On April 1, 1944 I took off on my first sortie after returning from leave.