Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th March 2006, 15:04

Craig MacPhee is on a distinguished road
Researching Bf-109 Crash in Sth London

My father saw a Bf-109 crash in Sep 1940 near his home (now my home) in Wickham Street, Welling in Kent and he told me the story of how the plane came down on fire in a flat spin.

The pilot bailed out but his parachute caught fire and sadly he was killed. The fire went out before the plane struck the ground and was not badly damaged. He says there were no guns protruding from the wings so I presume it was an E-1 and it had the yellow cowling.

Anyway, I wrote to my local cemetery to find out if they had any records of the pilot and I received this reply:

'The record we have is that Albert Friedmann 2nd Lieut German Air Force aged 26 on the 20.10.1940 Place of death Gibsons Farm Wickham Street.

And W Krohn pilot in German Air Force who died on 4.11.1940 at Coldblow Bexley.

They where both Exhumed in 1962 and where re-interred in German War Cemetery Cannock Chase Stafford.'

So Leutnant (is this 2nd Lieut?) Albert Friedmann is the unfortunate pilot my father saw.

I am interested in finding out more about him, but obviously want to do this in a sensitive manner. Where can I look?

Thanks.
Old 17th March 2006, 16:04
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Researching Bf-109 Crash in Sth London

I am afraid Friedmann is not the man you are looking for, as his aircraft exploded in the mid-air. Interestingly, on the very same day Uffz. Maierl of 3./LG2 was killed in similar circumstances to the ones you describe but the place of crash is Chapel Farm, Lenham Heath. This is a question for someone with a ready database of 109 crashes.
Old 17th March 2006, 17:39

Rabe Anton

Craig,

You can almost certainly identify the Bf 109 you are searching for by examining Winston Ramsey, ed., The Battle of Britain Then and Now (After the Battle Publications, ca. 1980) and Ramsy, et al., The Blitz Then and Now, Vol. I (After the Battle Publications, ca. 1985). Each of these references offers a comprehensive day-by-day calendar of Luftwaffe losses during the Battle of Britain with salient facts such as aircraft type, markings, time of day, aircrew names, place fallen, etc. The information was drawn by highly reputable British researchers from primary sources such the Luftwaffe's daily materiel loss reports and its Verlustmeldungen, or personnel casualty reports, as well as Br. A. Min. Crashed Enemy Aircraft Reports based on first-hand examination of the fallen aircraft. I suggest consulting The Blitz Then and Now, I, first as it is slightly more up to date. But I strongly suspect that either of the two works will tell you what you want to know.

For various reasons that don't need to be opened up here, I recommend avoiding any edition of Francis Mason, The Battle of Britain, which also offers a day-by-day calendar of Luftwaffe losses.

RA
Old 17th March 2006, 17:46
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Welcome Craig,

Glad you accepted the invitation.

Any chance you can narrow down the date?

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 17th March 2006, 19:07

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

The aircraft was Bf109E-4 (2780) that exploded under attack by P/O Draper of No.74 Sqdn. & fell apart over Welling at 1.45 pm on Sunday 20 October 1940. The pilot 65167/6 Oberfw Albert FRIEDEMANN of 6./JG52 fell dead & was originally buried in Service Grave E492 in Bexleyheath Cemetery on 29 October before reinterrment in Cannock Chase.
Old 17th March 2006, 19:14
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Peter
The fact the aircraft exploded rules out it was the one seen by Craig's father.
Craig noted.
Quote:
he told me the story of how the plane came down on fire in a flat spin. The pilot bailed out but his parachute caught fire and sadly he was killed. The fire went out before the plane struck the ground and was not badly damaged. He says there were no guns protruding from the wings so I presume it was an E-1 and it had the yellow cowling.
I presume, this aircraft may have not crashed at Welling but in a nearby village, unfortunately my knowledge of English geography disallows me a quick search.
Old 17th March 2006, 19:11

Joe Potter

I believe this to be, Oberfeldwebel Albert Friedemann, EM B65167/6, Bf 109E-4, Werk Nr 2780, 6/JG52, Born, Meusdorf 25.11.1913, died 1345 hrs 20.10.1940, now buried Cannock Chase, Block 1, Row 7, Grave 256.
Regards
Joe.