Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd October 2008, 16:27
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Info April 12th 1943. Twin bomber crash on the island of St Vincent, British West Indies

If this board doesn't come up with more help, Flypast magazine has an active forum. Sorry, I don't now the URL.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:10

Duncan Richardson is on a distinguished road
Re: Info April 12th 1943. Twin bomber crash on the island of St Vincent, British West Indies

Martin If you chance to drop in here, I am still intrigued by the strong belief here that an American was a 4th member of the crew or was perhaps riding along. I say that because two of the named crew are buried in Georgetown and one in Kingstown, I know all three. However if you look at the picture of the CWGS grave in Georgetown, it looks a bit odd.
http://www.cwgc.org/CWGCImgs/Georget...Vincent111.JPG

It appears as though there was once a grave in the middle. A couple of people tell me they remember three being there. I'm perplexed.
Is it possible there was a supernumary on board.

Duncan
Old 6th October 2008, 01:52

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo Duncan,

Cannot help you much here. You may well be correct in believing a 4th (US) person died in the crash. Such tragedies did happen. Most US personnel who died abroad during WW2 and whose bodies were recovered and identified were returned to the USA after the end of the war.

I have a book titled 'ALAE SUPRA CANALEM' by Dan Hagedorn. It deals with the activities of the USAAC/USAAF in the Central American and Caribbean regions and mostly covers the WW2 period. There is a listing of air accident fatalities (American) but nothing for 12 April 1943. Indeed the author stressed that the list is not complete.

I believe St. Vincent and The Grenadines is an independent nation now. Does it have a US Embassy ? Or was there a US Consular Office or similar there in 1943 ? Also what office in St. Vincent (during WW2) issued Death Certificates ? There must have been police and coroner's reports ? Try any local undertakers whose business has been around for a long time ! This worked once for me. Just suggestions.

Barring the above the best indicator may come from the Australian Archives.

Hope this helps.

Martin.
Old 6th October 2008, 20:17

Duncan Richardson is on a distinguished road

Thank you Martin. There would not have been a consular presence here then, in fact even today the nearest office is an embassy in Barbados. My best bet is to try and get something from the local archives department, which is a bit disorganised. In this still very old fashioned society an exhumation in the late 40's or 50's would have caused a stir and it certainly remains in the lore when the accident is discussed. If there was an American on board a death certificate would have to have been issued so I will search for any evidence there.
Re your book, I guess it is looking at accidents with US aircraft, still it would be of interest to be. I will see if a used copy is around on the net.
Regards
Duncan
Old 9th January 2009, 19:28

Redleafjumper is on a distinguished road

I am working on a project to apply the correct names on a new cenotaph in Prince George BC and I have reason to believe that Lennon or Lennox Dane Faulkner should be the name on the cenotaph rather than one David F. Lennon (there doesn't appear to have been anyone in service with the last name) that appears on the old cenotaph. Any information that would connect Captain Faulkner to Prince George, BC would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Sheldon Clare
Prince George,BC
Cenotaph Project