Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th December 2018, 20:40

Fredo Hara is on a distinguished road
Re: Walter Oesau investigating a victory

Good evening. Yes Chris, I think that indeed the name of Oesau on a picture is more seller than anonymous. For me, it's not about him ... I just see a Luftwaffe Oberst on this picture.

Best Regards
Fredo
Old 19th December 2018, 20:53

zorglub is on a distinguished road

Hello dear friends ,

I can't confirm about Oesau , however I have a clue this is B-17 # 42-5146 " Chuck Wagon" , 305th BG 422nd BS , lost 4 April 1943 at Léry . As Oesau claimed it ( as W. St Pierre les Elbeuf , which is nearby ) so maybe he is our man on the picture after all .

Zorglub
Old 20th December 2018, 14:08

loiclemarchand is on a distinguished road

Hello gentlemen,

As Zorglub said, it's for sure the B-17 #42-5146 crashed in Léry, not so far from Louviers and Saint-Pierre-les-Elbeuf, my area.
Zorglub made a perfect identification.

Regards
Loic
Old 20th December 2018, 15:57

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Fredo: This has been my point of late. Add a well known name to a photo and name your price. If it was contemporary writing on the reverse, that would be more credible

Yeah, there's quite a few on eBay that say Oesau but are not. I would think that after nearly 20 years of studying the man, I'd know him when I see him, usually. This man's build and facial structure are Oesau-like. (I've seen non-Oesau pictures reported to be Oesau in more recent magazines/minibios of the man, so hey, it is what it is.)

Nick's lists are awesome, by the way. Thank you, Nick, for all of that exhaustive research. I really appreciate it.

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 21st December 2018, 19:58

Dan History is on a distinguished road

I will join the chorus of people thanking Nick for his lists!