Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th September 2012, 21:28
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
The Gruppenstab of I./StG1 during 1939-40 & Gideon TICHY

Hello,

Have been trying to ID the Adjutant (pilot of A5+BB) for I./StG1 during the 1939-40 period. In a previous post, "Robert" suggested that this could be Lt. TICHY. In correspondence with Doug Stankey, who has been tremendous help with the EoE Project, he has updated TICHY's bio somewhat on the Luft Off Career Sum DB:

"TICHY, Gideon. (DKG). (n.d.) with LKS 5. 15.12.41 Oblt., awarded DKG, I./St.G. 1. 01.02.42 promo to Hptm. 31.07.42 trf from LKS 5 to St.G. 2. (n.d.) in Stab/St.G. 2 as Adj.. 01.09.44 promo to Maj."

Further info by email from Gerhard Stemmer provides the following additional info on him:

"The only safe information I have on Gideon Tichy is coming from the Flugbuch of a radio operator. He flew together with Oblt. Tichy as Staffelkapitän of 2./StG 1 from 10.Jan. until 19.Aug.41.
Usually the rank of a Gruppenadjutant up to 1942 was an Oberleutnant or a Hauptmann but never a Leutnant. Leutnant was the typical rank of the technical officer. Consequently Lt. Tichy could not have been the Gruppenadjutant of I./StG 1 during 1939. He may have flown in the Gruppenstab - but who knows."

So, we now know that TICHY was with I./StG1, and near the beginning of 1941 was the StaKap of 2 Staffel. My questions:

1) Does anyone know when TICHY took over as StaKap of 2./StG1? He was not a RK winner, so no bio info there.

2) It still seems that TICHY could have been on the Gruppenstab of I./StG1 prior to that time, although probably not as Adj. Does anyone have any further info on his career with the unit back to the beginning of the war?

3) Can anyone help fill out any of the Gruppenstab positions for I./StG1 during the 1939-40 period?

Thanks for your continuing assistance.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 4th September 2012, 21:42
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: The Gruppenstab of I./StG1 during 1939-40 & Gideon TICHY

Hello,

I've just received from "Robert" info that an Oblt. Mössinger was a member of the I./StG1 Gruppenstab during the Polish Campaign period. His bio in the LOCS DB confirms that he was in StG1 during at least the PC period. Good candidate for the Gruppen Adjutant. Anybody know more?

"MÖSSINGER, Manfred. 01.08.39 Oblt., in I./St.G. 1. 07.43 Kommodore of JG 302? 11.43
Kommodore of JG 301. 01.05.44 promo to Maj. 01.09.44 promo to Obstlt. 16.02.45 appt Kommodore
SG 77 (to 08.05.45)."

Can anyone confirm what positions he held and when in I./StG1?

Regards,

Larry Hickey

EoE Project Coordinator
Old 6th September 2012, 14:04
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: The Gruppenstab of I./StG1 during 1939-40 & Gideon TICHY

Hi.

I now that Gerhard Stemmer is knowledgeable, and really would not like to disagree with him.

However, the rank criteria seemed to have been somewhat loosened during the expansion period in the Luftwaffe. The Gruppenadjutant of II./JG 77 during Weserübing was Horst Carganico - afaik a Lt at the time, promoted to Oblt approx November 1940.

Thus I would not rule out Tichy for the sake of his rank only.

Regards,
Andreas B