Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th February 2014, 14:17
Charlie Bourne

Bomber Flying Techniques/Tactics (Dornier 217)

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this one. I am interested in the behaviour/flying tactics of a Dornier 217 and have 2 questions: Once a bomber has dropped it's bombs would it return to base at a high altitude (presumably to avoid intruder patrols and flak)? In addition, is it feasible that on approach to base (within 25km) the aircraft would fly back and forth (east to west then turning 180 Degree)waiting for it's signal to land?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to explain the behaviour of an aircraft (I think it was a Do217) seen by my grandfather in his Beaufighter.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 9th February 2014, 08:55

VonWaffen is on a distinguished road
Re: Bomber Flying Techniques/Tactics (Dornier 217)

Hi
Most of the bombers when not in formation to help protect them by the groupe cross fire always try to avoid contact with any bandit on the way back home ,the try to hide from cloud to cloud... Once the get near the airfield the start losing altitude fallowing a predetermined circuit and tour instruction for approach procedure...
When they are in great danger they could do anything the pilot juge appropriate to save is life like diving to get away or even making sharp turn to help gunner having a change to open defensive fire...Just like a fighter it s never a good thing having someone in your six chasing you , in a bomber it s even worse this must be really hard to manage a escape again someone faster and more agile then you...