Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th May 2017, 12:59

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Fighter aces claims vs evidence

I have been reading several lengthy threads about overclaiming and I was wondering if anyone has made a record of the number of verified claims for the top aces of the various nations (as opposed to the generally accepted or official claims).
Michael?
Cheers
Peter
Old 28th May 2017, 14:28

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough
Re: Fighter aces claims vs evidence

Rob Romero had worked on such subjects, here are the list of his topics : http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/search...earchid=483600

Some may be of interest for you.

Regards
Old 28th May 2017, 15:05

Hello Alfred.
Thank you for the response, but the link you provided brings up a window which says sorry - no matches when I click on it.
Could you please check the link for me please, or tell me what words to search for?
Peter
Old 29th May 2017, 11:22

Sorry for the faulty link.

Here's the profile of Rob Romero : http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/member.php?u=29

Click on "Statistics" tab and then on "Find all threads started by Rob Romero".
Old 29th May 2017, 17:04

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Try this link for a good discussion on the subject:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...t=1262&page=23

Nick
Old 30th May 2017, 02:30

Thanks for the link, but it really doesn't go to answering my question. I skimmed through the 24 pages of that thread, and saw many discussions of minutia.
My question was, and still is, has anyone summarised the results of all the research and come up with a comparison total of official claims vs verified claims for each of the top aces? (that is, something like Safarik's tables with an extra column listing verified claims)
Thanks
Peter
Old 30th May 2017, 10:46

I have found 15 thread started by Rob Romero (between 2006 and 2010) that deals with what you want. There's almost 100 aces examined (by members of the forum) each in specific topics that are linked to the main posts by Rob Romero. If you want a list with all the aces, forget it, this is a very long job to seriously compare claim vs losses (and often unconclusive) for just one ace (I have tried it few times, without much success, you should try at once to understand the workload it can be). Rob Romero compilation of datas is sort of milestone in the domain and you have access to it in a couple of clicks.
Old 30th May 2017, 13:47

Thank you Alfred, you now answered my question.
The reason I asked the question is because I realised the amount of work it would take to produce such a list. Well beyond my means.
But many of the threads are well over 10 years old, so I thought maybe someone or some group ......... But it is now clear that did not happen.
Thanks again for your replies.
Peter
Old 1st June 2017, 11:02
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoz99 View Post
I have been reading several lengthy threads about overclaiming and I was wondering if anyone has made a record of the number of verified claims for the top aces of the various nations (as opposed to the generally accepted or official claims).
Michael?
Cheers
Peter
Good morning Peter,

my special issue is finding out who-flew-what-at-which-date.
I'm not proficient in the verification of claims. For WW2 I consider this very difficult because of the long range of the planes and the multitude of aircraft in action on each day.

I wish you good success for your investigations,

Michael
Old 3rd June 2017, 16:57
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Hello Peter, Have you read my thread for Hans Hahn's western claims? It is not always possible to verify a claim for some of the aces. I have never looked into the Pacific war claims but I am sure that is a maze to go through. I have tried to find who shot down a German fighter near Demyansk and found 9 Soviet pilots making claims in that area for that day. The loss shown for German aircraft shot down do not give the time of day that it was shot down which does not help with checking against Allied records. Even the 9 Soviet pilots before mentioned not all of them had times listed on their reports to indicate when it happened.