Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th April 2018, 10:57
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
w.b abbreviation meaning

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anybody knew the long phrase of the abbreviation w.b pertaining to claims. I have only seen this used a few times, and was thinking it could be "Wahrscheinlich bestätigt".

Also after making a claim, was the Kommodore the first person to approve the claim before submitting to the RLM, also what is the long phrase meaning of RLM in German.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 14th April 2018, 11:10

alessandro bray is on a distinguished road
Re: w.b abbreviation meaning

Hi Johannes, wb = wirksam beschossen
Regards
Alessandro
Old 14th April 2018, 11:19
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

RLM = Reichsluftfahrtministerium = Reich Aviation Ministry
Old 14th April 2018, 14:02

Kaczmarek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
. . . Also after making a claim, was the Kommodore the first person to approve the claim before submitting to the RLM . . .
No. Every claim had to be presented to a Abschußkommission (claim commission). This commission decided and reported the claim to the OKL, Chef f. Ausz. u. Diszpl. (Air Force High Command). This then confirmed officially the claim.

Rgds,
Kaczmarek
Old 14th April 2018, 14:32
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Yes, 'w.B.' means 'wirksamer Beschuss', I've come across this term in a number of single-engined Wilde Sau claims and one or two twin-engined NJ claims that were submitted to the OKL/RLM.

The Abschusskommission is also known as the Wiesbadener Abschusskommission. Over the past 30 years I've searched in vain for remnants of the original archive of the Abschusskommission, the archive is believed to have been destroyed in its entirety towards the end of the war.

Cheers, Theo
Old 15th April 2018, 08:59
Alter Hase

Hi Guys

Many, many thanks for all the very useful information.

Best Regards

Johannes
Old 16th April 2018, 11:07
Alter Hase

Hi Guys

More thoughts.

A Geschwaderkommodore would sign any abschussmeldung, but before or after submission. I am looking at an abschussmeldung at the moment, it's signed by the Kommodore, but although the claim was for 27.05.1942 this form was completed later, firstly it's dated 05.02.1945!!!! then the witness is mentioned as being killed 21.08.1942, which is why I assume of the long delay.
The witness report is also dated 05.02.1945, and unsigned.

Were A.S.M, v.nee-a.s.m, w.b abschussmeldung submitted to the same office.I have a lot of v.n.e-a.s.m or plain A.S.M abschussmeldung, but not many non-problematical ones, makes me think they were treated, or at least stored in some different way. Wilhelm Batz made many A.S.M claims among his earlier claims decause he had no air witnesses, I assume this is because he was with the Staff, but he would use ground-witnesses, which I guess would suggest that these claims were 100% honest.........no reason for a ground-witness to verify an airclaim i.e no bribery, just following protocol.

I have seen a few e.v claims on the mikrofilms, but although they counted in the Western "points system", were abschussmeldung actually submitted in such a case, and if so how were they treated i.e confirmed, or just points?

Again grateful to you guys for your assistance.

Kind Regards

Johannes