Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th September 2008, 09:27
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Hptm. Emil Lang's crash site

Hello Gentlemen ,

The village of Overhespen is about 10 km east of the town of Tirlemont , almost in the middle between Tirlemont ( Tienen in flemish ) and St-Trond ( Sint-Truiden in flemish ) , but please think that this area is in fact 40 km east of Brussels.

Greetings
Alain57
Belgium
Old 20th September 2008, 21:21

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Re: Hptm. Emil Lang's crash site

Hello,

This is a very interesting topic to follow. Thanks John for the information about Ysslestein and Lommel.

I asked a couple of years ago a report of transfer for +/- 130 German soldiers who were buried on a "Ehrenfriedhof" and transfered to Lommel in 1948 and received the whole report from the Volksbund. It was a copy of the documents from the Begian MOD which were given to the Volksbund with all the information on it. I've wait very long before I could get this report.

Can somebody help me with some information about Leutnant Alfred Gross (52 victories, RK) and Unteroffizier Hans-Joachim Borreck. I know that Alfred Gross survived the war but did Hans-Joachim Borreck???
Regards,

Alexander
Old 20th September 2008, 21:54
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Borreck was killed 6.11.1944.

Regards.

John
Old 8th December 2008, 08:22

kennethklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Manrho View Post
Borreck was killed 6.11.1944.

Regards.

John
Were Borreck's remains recovered and identified? Caldwell's JG 26 War Diary Vol 2 states Borreck never returned and speculates what happened, but does not indicate whether Borreck's remains were actually recovered.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Old 4th October 2010, 03:28

Tianichka is on a distinguished road

I was just searching around and came across this discussion forum. It's purely anecdotal but Emil Lang was my grandmother's husband. When i was little she would talk me about her life she always said that her husband went M.I.A. Maybe it was too hard to talk about it. She had two sons with him, one died either right before Emil died or after of polio and her other son, my beloved uncle, passed away in 2004. Anyhow, I don't think she believed that whatever gravesite is dedicated to him is where any of his remains were buried.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:21

yogybär is on a distinguished road

here
http://www.luftwaffe.cz/lang.html
it is reported that Lang had problems with his undercarriage and thus flew with "legs down".

Any comments on this?
Old 4th October 2010, 16:18
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Hauptmann Emil Lang

Hi guys

Just to note that it now appears that he actually was flying Fw 190 A-5 "Green 1" (W.Nr. 0150 1240) rather than Fw 190 A-8 "Green 1" (W.Nr. 171 240). It is possible that the undercarriage problems he experienced that day that led to his death were due to the age of this aircraft. I just wonder why a pilot like Lang would prefer an A-5 to an A-8. I recall Gene Crumpp writing that German veterans stated that the A-5 was the worst preforming A-series as compared to the A-8 which was the best preforming A-series due to the higher power to weight ratio between the two types.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 5th October 2010, 13:13

Steve Brew is on a distinguished road

Hi Leo

May I ask your source for this new piece of information (A5 iso A8), please?

Thanks
Steve
Old 5th October 2010, 13:42

Joe Potter

The VDK now have Borreck listed as being buried in Hürtgenwald-Vossenack Cemetery as an unknown.
Joe
Old 5th October 2010, 19:10
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Hauptmann Emil Lang

Hello Steve

This information is from the thread posted below in which it is explained by Charles Bavarois and John Manrho that the Namentliche Verlustmeldung for Lang provided by WASt gives the loss information of his aircraft as being Fw 190 A-5 (W.Nr. 0150 1240). Credit for this discovery should also be given to David Brown who realized that the werknummer block for the A-8 that he is usually claimed to have flown that date does not exist. I hope this helps.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=15822

Horrido!

Leo