Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 15th November 2017, 18:53
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
what a slimey person

I hope he gets the max

http://ww2awartobewon.com/wwii-news/...onal-archives/
Old 15th November 2017, 19:24
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough
Re: what a slimey person

Agreed. Such activities as Dehays' thefts will ruin our "real" researchers' opportunities to use archive services.

Matti
Old 15th November 2017, 20:47
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Theft is common in many situations, sad to say. Regarding World War II research, photographs from one book appear in another, without proper permission and attribution. While doing internet research, anonymous or not so anonymous persons, post photos and other information without permission, Some are honest mistakes, some are not. The equation is: Does the internet hurt or hinder real research? And what about the "private collections" I see mentioned in books by known authors? They do not reside in official archives. Some years ago, a person with great funds was buying up a great number of original Luftwaffe photos. He appears to have disappeared from eBay, and so far as I know, his real identity is unknown.

Respect for the dead, respect for institutions, respect for private property? In my view, the anonymous nature of the internet has helped to justify disrespect as well as theft.

Ed

Last edited by edwest2; 17th November 2017 at 00:24.
Old 16th November 2017, 15:16
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ed,

True, but the Internet has also brought answers to some of our questions and has helped identify photographs which would have remained unknown in Pre-Internet days.

Theft from National archives has been going on for decades. There was a famed British researcher who stole thousands of documents, his names escapes me now.
Old 16th November 2017, 22:32
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I don't wish to cause a controversy, but when it comes to using photographs in my books I invariably find myself in a quandary.
I'm the first to admit that I don't fully understand copyright laws, that seem to vary from country to country, but perhaps naively I believe that photographs, particularly of a historical nature, should be available for all to see - and use. Surely no one 'owns' them apart from the individual who took the original, and presumably he/she would have wanted to share the image? Surely, the more who see the image in an appropriate setting, the greater appreciation of said image will be possible?

Shoot me down!

Brian
Old 17th November 2017, 00:09
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Hi Brian,

Not here to shoot you down but copyright law is complicated and is sometimes ignored or too hard to understand. Some examples:

A) In the US, an old photo album from World War II is sold at an estate sale or ends up in an antique shop. Surely, the original owner doesn't want it, right?

B) A photo album ends up going to a university or veterans group. In the case of veterans, some may have put up photos on a site dedicated to the unit and service they belonged to, and are meant for veterans and relatives to see them like looking back into the past. They may have a statement on the site like "no photographs on this site may be reproduced" or "photographs may be reproduced by contacting us, getting written permission and following certain guidelines."

C) Some photos are passed on to a relative who, for whatever reason, decides to sell them on eBay. Say after the relative has passed on.

These are not all the possibilities.

Take the US Library of Congress:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html

Copyright law in Germany for photographs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photog...right_(Germany) Note: For some unknown reason, I can't link to the correct page, so click on the question near the top of the page this link goes to.

Now, this is not all-inclusive and I would contact a lawyer in any case. Some photographs may have indeed been granted copyright protection in some cases, either in writing by the original owner (even long after the war), or by assignment to a publisher who now owns the copyright, or a transfer of ownership to heirs or others.

Take the excellent publication, Luftwaffe im Focus. The owner of a photograph may give limited, one-time reproduction rights but retain ownership of the original photo in his collection.

Permission is the key, along with understanding the copyright laws of various countries.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Old 17th November 2017, 17:38
Alter Hase

Thanks, Ed

I'm even more confused now than ever!

Over the years of my publications, the vast majority of pictures I've used have come from veterans etc. On many occasions I have been sent relevant pictures by acquaintances/colleagues/even Forum members, knowing of my imminent work and need for same. I admit that sometimes I have copied from other books (hopefully with due credit) and sometimes from the Internet (and sometimes without credit, not knowing whom to acknowledge).

I trust that I am not one of those 'slimey limeys'!

Cheers
Brian
Old 8th December 2017, 06:05

Luftwaffle8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi guys

I don't wish to cause a controversy, but when it comes to using photographs in my books I invariably find myself in a quandary.
I'm the first to admit that I don't fully understand copyright laws, that seem to vary from country to country, but perhaps naively I believe that photographs, particularly of a historical nature, should be available for all to see - and use. Surely no one 'owns' them apart from the individual who took the original, and presumably he/she would have wanted to share the image? Surely, the more who see the image in an appropriate setting, the greater appreciation of said image will be possible?

Shoot me down!

Brian
I agree 110% with you Brian! I knew some people who would visit veterans, make copies from the vets' photo albums, then uses them in books and magazines, and claims copyright! The vets could care less.
I've posted photos given to me by veterans, and eventually, others will use the images. Do I mind? Absolutely not! As far as I am concerned, the photos belong to history. Photographs of a commercial, creative or business nature are different. But WWII photos? No.

I've found old military photos at garage sales, eBay, and collector/gun shows. I will use them. When I am contacted for permission to use, I tell them, "Go ahead and use it! It's not necessary to credit me with the photo. The photographer is unknown."
Old 8th December 2017, 13:57
Alter Hase

Luftwaffle8

Many thanks for that

Brian
Old 9th December 2017, 15:40

BruceMk11 is on a distinguished road

Can't say I agree with the lack of logic in some posts in this thread.

After someone has spent time and effort chasing up wartime pics, plus their dosh, the new owner can share them (or not) and can expect to be attributed if they do.

Bruce