Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st December 2017, 22:03
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Evidence of Me109E's being up-armoured

Well...this is odd...

I recently acquired from a Russian wreck, and Me109 Wing Cooler flap. I grabbed it, as it had some interesting markings...

What I did not know...is that it has a piece of steel armour plating bolted to it.

Appears this was added in the field to protect the wing coolers. I suspect it was from a Jabo Rei variant, and it helped with AA fire and such during bombing runs and strafing...

Anyone ever heard of this before?
Old 1st December 2017, 22:10

Wast1991 is on a distinguished road
Re: Evidence of Me109E's being up-armoured

Is this once again one of these wrecks where the dead pilot was found but nobody gave a shit and also authorities were not informed? Maybe because you canīt make money with human remains? Just an idea.
Old 1st December 2017, 22:17
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Why just not ask politely is stead of presuming?
Old 1st December 2017, 22:22

Because it would not be the first time.
Old 1st December 2017, 22:46
Alter Hase

Wast1991...please keep on topic.

if you have a beef with the Russians who are recovering aircraft and vehicles...maybe you should contact them directly.
Old 1st December 2017, 22:55

Itīs not just about the Russians or diggers in general - Itīs also about the people that pay the diggers for doing this kind of business. About the people that sell these things on ebay without thinking about the fate of the pilot. I donīt know if you ever thought about, but when you take away the data plate of a plane from a crash site, you take away 50 % of the chance to identify the pilot. And if you sell parts on ebay and you know there were human remains in the wreck, but you just donīt care...well, this is not very respectable. At least people who do so should not be supported.

Also my anger is about the people that create weird stories to increase the value of items they sale on the internet.

...So I think my posts are not off topic here.
Old 1st December 2017, 23:26
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wast1991 View Post
Itīs not just about the Russians or diggers in general - Itīs also about the people that pay the diggers for doing this kind of business. About the people that sell these things on ebay without thinking about the fate of the pilot. I donīt know if you ever thought about, but when you take away the data plate of a plane from a crash site, you take away 50 % of the chance to identify the pilot. And if you sell parts on ebay and you know there were human remains in the wreck, but you just donīt care...well, this is not very respectable. At least people who do so should not be supported.

Also my anger is about the people that create weird stories to increase the value of items they sale on the internet.

...So I think my posts are not off topic here.
Well I think you are right off topic. If you have information about a crime, tell the police; if you have information on armoured Bf 109 radiators, post it in this thread.
Old 1st December 2017, 23:34

Yes, of course German police will take care of a U.S. guy selling Luftwaffe parts from Russia, Latvia, Poland, the rest of the world on ebay.

Maybe you should start to scrutinize requests about crashed planes and the intentions behind the request.
Old 1st December 2017, 23:36
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Well I think you are right off topic. If you have information about a crime, tell the police; if you have information on armoured Bf 109 radiators, post it in this thread.
Well said.

getting BACK to topic...I just spoke with someone who confirmed that this was a common field mod (specifically over Russia). They bolted steel plates to the radiators themselves...and overall this added weight was around 80 lbs. or so (as he recalled).

My expertise is more on the F-K...so with limited knowledge on the E model...this was something new...

has anyone ever read anything about this?
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:27
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

According to:

Messerschmitt Bf 109: The Design and Operational History

By Jan Forsgren

"The Bf 109E/U1 featured armoured protection for the radiator." It is listed under "Field Modification Designations"

Ed