Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th June 2023, 15:43

Research1 is on a distinguished road
Unidentified K.I.A. Luftwaffe Pilot

Shot down / crashed just south of Heidenheim, Germany, at 2350 24 APRIL 45 after strafing the company of the 222nd Infantry Regiment. Buried as Unbekannt at Nagelberg, Germany.

We believe we have identified the unit as Nachtjagdgeschwader 11 but not the pilot. It most likely was one of the five Bf 109s sent N.J.G. N.J.G. 11, which carried out harassment missions in Dillingen-Bopfingen-Würzburg between 21:03 and 22:54. That time matches pretty well. One of those aircraft failed to return, but we have no information on the pilot. Does anyone have a list of missing N.J.GN.J.G.ilots or a roster of N.J.G. 11 from April 1945?
Old 5th June 2023, 18:02
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Unidentified K.I.A. Luftwaffe Pilot

Viewable online/downloadable from the Bundesarchiv are:

RL 10/576: 3./NJG 11, Kriegstagebuch Nr. 1 (Einsatz: Rheinisch-westfälisches Industriegebiet) (Aug., Okt. 1944; 4. Nov. 1944 –12. Jan. 1945)

RL 10/577: III./NJG 11, Kriegstagebuch Nr. 1 (Einsatz: Rheinisch-westfälisches Industriegebiet) (12 Jan.–5 Apr. 1945)

RL 10/880: 7./NJG 11: Kriegstagebuch Nr. 1 (Einsatz: Großraum Hamburg, Norddeutschland) (5 Apr.–16 Juni 1945)

I think though that these cover mainly operations further north (at least that's what I was looking at) but the last one may help you.
Old 5th June 2023, 20:20

Research1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Nick, for the information from the Bundesarchiv. I have an Invenio account, and we had already reviewed those records. The first two staffels do not cover the date of the loss and the 7th Staffel had no combat sorties on the day of the loss. If you or anyone else has any additional ideas or information we would appreciate it.
Old 7th June 2023, 19:31

RodM is on a distinguished road

A loss near Heidenheim would involve 1./NJG11 (subordinated under 7. Jagddivision), as detailed in the Morgenmeldung West (RL 2-II/391) you quoted.

Sadly, I know of no sources of pilot rosters for 1. or I./NJG11.
Old 8th June 2023, 10:48

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I did a lot of reseach in that area and especially for April 45. I never heard about a loss of NJG 11.
May be other unit?

Rolf
Old 8th June 2023, 12:00

Trendle will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

maybe this candidate?

III./JG 27 / Messerschmitt Bf 109 / Low-level Attack on American Units / Dogfight with P-47 Thunderbolt - Lieutenant Snell - 358th Fighter Group - 1st Tacaf (Prov.) / Attempted force Landing - Contact with Tree - Rollover / Crashed near Wernding, south of Heidenheim, southeast of Oettingen in Bayern (Bavaria) - Germany / Unteroffizier Alois Sepperl / KIA

Fred
Old 8th June 2023, 14:25

RodM is on a distinguished road

The relevant OKL FüSt Ic Morgenmeldung West from 25.4.45 records:

NJG11 5 Me 109
Gleicher Auftrag im Raum Dillingen-Bopfingen - Würzburg von 2103 - 2254.

Erfolge: 3 LKW in Brand geschossen, 1 Eisenbahnzug SW Gunzenhausen mit guter Wirkung beschossen.

Verluste p: 0 - 1 - 0. m: 0 - 1 - 0.

So, Research1's original hypothesis fits the loss given at the specified date, time, and location.

The only other Nachtschlacht sorties that night were by NSG1 (Ju87), NJG2 (Ju88), and NJG6 (Ju88 & Bf110) with one aircraft (likely a Ju88) and four men reported missing.
Old 11th June 2023, 09:40

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendle View Post
Hi all,

maybe this candidate?

III./JG 27 / Messerschmitt Bf 109 / Low-level Attack on American Units / Dogfight with P-47 Thunderbolt - Lieutenant Snell - 358th Fighter Group - 1st Tacaf (Prov.) / Attempted force Landing - Contact with Tree - Rollover / Crashed near Wernding, south of Heidenheim, southeast of Oettingen in Bayern (Bavaria) - Germany / Unteroffizier Alois Sepperl / KIA

Fred
Hi Fred Alois Sepperl was shot down in the early afternoon and crashed at Alerheim near Wemding. Plane flipped over and started burning. American soldier tried to help Sepperl out of the plane but fire became to extrem and Sepperl was killed in the fire.
So I don´t beleive Sepperl is the pilot.
Best regards and see you
Rolf
Old 11th June 2023, 11:24
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Do you know where Alois Sepperl is buried?
Old 12th June 2023, 20:39

Trendle will become famous soon enough

Hi Rolf,

thank you for your support. Was a "Typo". Indeed Alerheim, southwest of Wemding. Hope to see you soon for further Research.....

All the best

Fred