Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th April 2010, 07:57

Gildas is on a distinguished road
Ernst Müller first grave

During last war, the body of a airman was found on the coast close to the little chapel of St Samson, in Landunvez commune, 25 km north west of Brest, Brittany, France. The man who found him called some German soldiers, but none of them understood French. Then, the French man told them “Kamerad Kaputt”, and invited them to follow him down on the shore. This man was much probably an airman. He remembers his name, Ernst Müller. He was first buried close to the chapel, The first cross, in wood painted black was soon replaced by a Malta cross.
Maybe one year later, this grave was moved somewhere else, but I never found where.

By chance, last year, I was able to buy a picture of a cross. It would come from an album of pictures taken in August 1940 by a german “on holidays” in Brittany. Two other pictures proved he’s been at Porspoder, a nearest commune of Landunvez.
Unfortunately, even a high resolution scan can’t allow to read the date. But my witness did recognize the cross. The name does seem to be Ernst Müller.
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ller-grave.jpg

I did find a Ernst Müller in the Lesneven cemetery, where most of the German soldiers who died in North West Brittany were buried. But this one was a jäger, killed on August 31, 1944.

I also was told a ME 110 could have sunk close to there, but can’t be sure there’s any relation with this supposed airman…
I would like to learn more about him, the date he was reported missing, his crew, …

Thank you for your help.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:13

Olaf Berg Nielsen is on a distinguished road
Re: Ernst Müller first grave

Bonjour Gildas

As I read the Photo the name is not Müller, but Möller. Then this should be the one:

Nachname:Möller
Vorname:Ernst
Dienstgrad:Oberfeldwebel
Geburtsdatum:04.08.1911
Geburtsort:Naschhausen
Todes-/Vermisstendatum:17.07.1940
Todes-/Vermisstenort:St. Samson

Ernst Möller ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte
in Ploudaniel-Lesneven (Frankreich).
Endgrablage: Block 14 Reihe 6 Grab 364

Best regards from Denmark
Olaf
Old 16th April 2010, 09:29

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Good work Olaf. Details of this loss are as follows:

July 17, 1940: Stab KG27 Heinkel He111P-2. Failed to return from sortie and crashed in sea 150 km west of Brest. FF Oberfw Hermann Schulze, BM Oberfw Ernst Möller, and HS Gefr Kurt Frinzel all killed, BO Oberst Bernhard Georgi (Geschwaderkommodore), BO Oberlt Walter Buss, and BF Uffz Hans Goltz all missing. Aircraft 100% write-off.
The body of Ernst Möller is believed to have been recovered from the River Rance at St-Samson on August 22. Hermann Schulze was washed ashore near Primel-Trégastel, north of Morlaix, on August 23, and Kurt Frinzel came ashore near Brest the same day.

And yes, the footnote will now be revised.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:52

Gildas is on a distinguished road

Hello Olaf and Peter,

Greatest thanks for your reply. It’s certain it’s him because even Saint Samson is written as the place where he died. I think my witness’s account should prove the place where he was found was St Samson in Landunvez. His name is Jean Théréné. I’ll soon go back and see him with these precious news. I’ll be away this coming week, and don’t know if I’ll be able to access to Internet there.
If anyone would be in touch with any relative of Ernst Möller, I may drive them to that place, only 10 km from my home, if they wished so. I use to do it for more usually allied aircrew ones.
Also I can send an recent aerial picture I took of the place to anyone interested in, and situate where was the grave. If he today rests at Ploudaniel cemetery, I suppose he was sent to Brest Kerfautras cemetery after St Samson. I also had a quick look at Google Earth to situate St Samson sur Rance, and don’t think he then would have been buried at Ploudaniel after the war.

Thanks again
Kind regards from Brittany

Gildas