Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2014, 17:37
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Seeking ID of large industrial complex being overflown by Bf110C of St V.(Z)/LG1 Gr Kdr circa spring 1940

Are photos of the plants located at the Ruhr available? I will try to locate something, but I'm throwing this out as a possibility for other researchers. Also, the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex, Essen, Germany.

Ed
Old 12th June 2014, 17:49
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Seeking to ID this Photo/Caption from Phoney War/Sitzkrieg "Messerschmitt"

The D model was not really lower in quality compare to the P36, further the number make all not quality, in most of cases, the E models were far superior to the curtiss, but in May 40 Curtiss were not less succesful than the 109E ..

Wonder if someone hv figures for these fights in the early time of war

Rémi
Old 12th June 2014, 19:05
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Seeking ID of large industrial complex being overflown by Bf110C of St V.(Z)/LG1 Gr Kdr circa spring 1940

A possibility?

http://lostimagesofww2.com/photos/places/saar.php

Ed
Old 12th June 2014, 19:18
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Seeking photo of Bf110C-1 of Oblt Gordon Gallob, the Sta Kap of 3./ZG76 during the Polish Campaign period, or any time during 1939

Only photos I have are of CL & UL with an indistinct DL in the distance & Jaeger's FL nose (but no markings)
Old 12th June 2014, 20:46
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking confirmation that photo was taken at Alencon AF, France, summer, 1940

I think no Nrs 3 & 5

ClinA-78
Old 12th June 2014, 23:00
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking to ID this Photo/Caption from Phoney War/Sitzkrieg "Messerschmitt"

Remi,

We will have all of that when we're done with the EoE Project, but I don't know this now.

Luc Vervoort (Belgium) has agreed to translate the 6 Nov 1939 magazine article, so now we're covered there. He has done a huge amount of French translations for the project, and I am greatly in his debt for his wonderful assistance with French-language books and other publications. Thanx Luc.
Old 12th June 2014, 23:09
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Ed,

I looked at what you posted. The real key to the ID of this is the five smokestacks with the specific buildings and the water tower behind them. "Lilsis" also sent me a PM with something like this row of stacks, but the buildings don't seem to match. The location also is in NE German, which is not where I think that this is likely to be. Both France and Belgium also has major industrial areas like this, although I don't think this could have been over one of them until after the surrenders. This doesn't look like a combat mission over the plant facility.

We'll find this, as the smokestacks are very distinctive, and are probably the key to identifying this place, and thus being able to ID the approximate date.
Old 12th June 2014, 23:11
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking photo of Bf110C-1 of Oblt Gordon Gallob, the Sta Kap of 3./ZG76 during the Polish Campaign period, or any time during 1939

Chris,

Thanx for checking. If we just knew for sure that Gollob flew the "A" aircraft with the Staffel, that would be enough to create a highly accurate profile, as we have plenty of examples of Bf110C-1s from I./ZG76 around the beginning of the war to work from.
Old 13th June 2014, 10:25
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

My guess is that this will in Germany, because it does not seem to be a combat mission, as such a place will certainly be protected by AA guns.

And the factory is producing smoke, ie is working. I doubt such an installation would have worked in occupied France or Belgium in June or July 1940, given that most people fled before the German advance, and took weeks if not months to come back.
Old 13th June 2014, 11:32
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking confirmation that photo was taken at Alencon AF, France, summer, 1940

ClinA-78,

Looking at the landscape at the distance I don't think that this is the Neufchateau (#3) or Libramont (#5) airfield.

Besides, I don't think there was that much infrastructure available at either of these airfields.

Regards,
Rudi.
Closed Thread

Tags
eagles, europe