Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 24th February 2017, 16:40

mars
Air Battles over the Baltic 1941: The Air War on 22 June 1941 - The Battle for Stalin's Baltic Region

Looks like Helion will publish a new book about the air war on East Front: "Air Battles over the Baltic 1941: The Air War on 22 June 1941 - The Battle for Stalin's Baltic Region" by Mikhail Timin in this November (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE), as much as a fan of WWII air war like me, I am rather disappoint that Helion announced some other new books about WWII East Front air war, "A Storm on a Sunny Day. The Soviet 11th Composite Aviation Division and the Luftwaffe, 22 June 1941" by Dmitry Kienko is a good example, but somehow, the release date passed and we never heard this book ever since, I wish same would not happen this time
Old 25th February 2017, 04:52
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Air Battles over the Baltic 1941: The Air War on 22 June 1941 - The Battle for Stalin's Baltic Region

Wondering if this is original text or a translation of his previous Russian text articles. 528 pages is a lot of material and it seems that a lot of pictures, aircraft profiles and bio's will be fillers. Mikhail Timin is one of the best authors on Eastern Front air war that I have read.
Old 25th February 2017, 07:26

mars
Re: Air Battles over the Baltic 1941: The Air War on 22 June 1941 - The Battle for Stalin's Baltic Region

Interesting, vast majority of books published by Helion have very high degree of quality, but that company had an unpleseant habit of skipping the promised publish date, I really wish this time Helion would make an exception
Old 25th February 2017, 21:47

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

This title hase been planned to edit in Russia for a few years (2 or 3). I think the text could be more improved, then his long three articles, which was cut by the editor due to the limit spaces in magazines (bombers, ground attacks and fighter regiments).

This will be very deep researach, even too deep for many readers, due to the lot of detailed data, such a new "biblia". He is indeed very good in this (Tymin). Most texts done based on archival data and cross-checked with German information/books ect.

regards,
mw

PS
I co-operate with Tymin during writing my book about 22.06.41 a few yeras ago, printed in Poland.
Old 25th February 2017, 23:35

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
Interesting, vast majority of books published by Helion have very high degree of quality, but that company had an unpleseant habit of skipping the promised publish date, I really wish this time Helion would make an exception
I would agree that Helion does make some great books. I've learned over the years that the publishing dates they provide are not to counted on. I too was waiting for "Storm on a Sunny Day" to be published and watched the date change and change and change again. After communicating with the company, I was informed that publication is now cancelled. From following up with them on another title that kept slipping in time, I learned that they list titles as upcoming and then see what preorders they get. Not enough and publication is cancelled or delayed indefinitely. So while I enjoy and have bought many of their books, I've learned not to get my hopes up when I see a book in their "upcoming books" list.
Old 26th February 2017, 07:12

mars

That would be a shame
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:48
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

The second volume of my book, 'Magyar Warriors', has also been delayed several times by Helion. Luckily, however, it's now out since last Friday. I will post an update in the appropriate topic.
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:33

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Air Battles over the Baltic 1941: The Air War on 22 June 1941 - The Battle for Stalin's Baltic Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
The second volume of my book, 'Magyar Warriors', has also been delayed several times by Helion. Luckily, however, it's now out since last Friday. I will post an update in the appropriate topic.
My copy is on its way according to my inbox. Looking foward to it!
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:35
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Air Battles over the Baltic 1941: The Air War on 22 June 1941 - The Battle for Stalin's Baltic Region

Off topic: So am I (can hardly wait to lay my hands on it after all those years!).
Old 13th July 2018, 02:27

mars

Now it is available at bookdepository:
https://www.bookdepository.com/Air-B...Order-dispatch