Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th October 2009, 05:14

Dave Homewood is on a distinguished road
New Zealanders who flew P-51D Mustangs in WWII

Does anyone here have information on any New Zealand pilots who flew P-51D Mustangs in WWII, with either the Royal Air Force or USAAF, or other air foces? I'd like to find some colour schemes for wartime Mustangs with NZ connections.

I'm not looking for postwar RNZAF Mustangs. Just wartime ones.

I know all about Jack Clelland who flew Isobel III with the USAAF.

I am also aware of a Plt Off Basil Matthew Cameron NATTA, NZ422308, RNZAF, who was a P- 51D Mustang Pilot with No. 19 Sqn, RAF when he was killed on the 4th of May 1945 (Aged 22). Does anyone have photos of No. 19 Squadron Mustangs at that time, and the details of his aircraft?
Or any other NZ wartime P-51D Mustang connections please?
Old 8th October 2009, 22:17
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: New Zealanders who flew P-51D Mustangs in WWII

Not much help Dave

Natta was flying KH674 when he collided with F/Lt J. Davidson in KH818 and both crashed into sea

According to Errol Martin and his book For your tomorrow vol 3, 16 RNZAF pilots were lost on airborne operations in Mustangs, 15 killed and 1 made PoW. They are all most probably listed in said book under their names but unfortunately NOT in aircraft order, so it is a sort of "needle-in-the-haystack" search. But if you are interested in the fate of RNZAF pilots, it is a great work of both respect and admiration for those from his home country who lost their lifes during 20th century. Natta is in there of course!! The only drawback with Vol 3 is that to be able to get the serial number of any loss you have to crosscheck the dates in vol 1 and 2. All three volumes however are well worth having.

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th October 2009, 17:47

Bas Maathuis is on a distinguished road

Dave,

F/lt W.J. Dooley RNzAF, 613 Sqdn, Mustang I, AP207, shot down by Bf 109 flown by Max Winkler, crashed North Sea 20km W of Bergen on 14th may 1943. He was rescued and became pow.

F/lt W.T. Hawkins RNzAF, 613 Sqdn, Mustang I, AP254, on a recce flight, disappeared near Den Helder on 27th september 1943, faith unknown to me.

W/O W.G. Abbott RNzAF, 424401, 19 Sqdn, Mustang IIIb, FB148, shot down by Flak, crashed near Zutphen on 9th september 1944 and buried at Zutphen grave 2115

Hope this helpes!

Bas Maathuis

http://www.luchtoorlogboventwente.nl/
In Dutch only...

Last edited by Bas Maathuis; 11th October 2009 at 21:50.
Old 11th October 2009, 18:27
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Bas

Seems you just found the guy who became POW. He was the lucky one...

Cheers
Stig