Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th February 2005, 08:57

BABIN
He 177 losses - Wekusta 2

Hi,

In June 1944, the Wekusta 2 (a Luftwaffe Meteorological Reconnaissance unit) lost a He 177 ; mission : possibly a training flight ; precise date : unknown.

On 19 August 1944, this unit lost an other He 177.

Could somebody give me information about these losses : date, cause and place of crash, mission, identity and fate of the crewmen, type, marks and werknummer of both He 177s.

From the end of June 1944 to 20 August 1944, the Wekusta 2 was based in South West of France.

Thank you very much

Pierre BABIN
Old 11th February 2005, 00:18
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Only record of one loss

Hi.

The Summarische Verlustemeldungen for the unit only reports one of these alleged losses, namely the one on August 19th 1944. There were no personnel injuries, although the aircraft was a write-off.

The aircraft was damaged in an accident without any enemy activity involved, and thus its difficult to find further relevant information unless You have access to a report in a Kriegstagebuch, Flugbuch or similar...

As for the loss in June 1944, there are no records of this. The unit has not reported any aircraft loss during the period March 20th 1944 up until the loss on August 19th.

There is a slight possibility that personnel from the unit might have flown an aircraft on strength with another unit of course.

What are Your sources for the loss in June 1944?

Regards,
Andreas
Old 11th February 2005, 08:59

BABIN
He 177 losses - Wekusta

Hello Andreas,

Many thanks for your information.

I answer your question : my source for the loss, dated June 1944, is a list of Wekusta losses, that a veteran of this unit gave me, about 2 years ago. It's a no-official typed document, whose quality is very poor.

I can read, on this document, concerning this presumed loss : "Absturz bei Umschulung". Approximative meaning, I think, "crash during a training flight, flying new type of aircraft " (my german language is very poor ...). Besides it is noted that 4 cremen died, but only one name is given : "BEIMGRABEN" (no first name, no rank ...)

I you have a record (Summarische Verlustmeldung for instance) which states the losses of the Wekusta 2 from July 1940 to August 1944, could you send it to me ? I would really like to compare with my own list.

Many thanks in advance

Pierre BABIN
Old 11th February 2005, 11:02
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
List

Yes, I do have a list of the losses of this unit, will mail it to You during the weekend.

Regards,
Andreas