Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th June 2010, 09:45

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
American Volunteers and Fighter Command Claims Aug 1940

I wondered if anyone has a copy of the 2001 American Eagles: American Volunteers in the RAF 1937 - 43 please?

Normally my interest area is Bomber & Balloon Command, unfortunately my knowledge of Fighter Command and especially Fighter Command AIR 16 files at TNA is limited, although I have the odd Fighter Unit 540 ORBs photocopied for August 1940.

I am interested please in Holmes source, relating to a GAF aircraft and balloon incident involving Billy Fiske of 601 Sqn on Aug 15th 1940 which according to the Notes at the end of Alex Kershaw's "The Few" was taken from p.45 of the American Eagles: American Volunteers in the RAF 1937 -43 by Tony Holmes? There is also a reference to J. E. Johnson, Wing Leader 2004, p.98.

I realise Combat Reports are in AIR 50 and ordered a few, but Fighter Command Pilots had more claims than those which are listed online in AIR 50 I have noticed. I also found Combat Forms F.

However, I have also seen a few teleprinted Intelligence Signals from 11 Group to Headquarters Fighter Command and led to believe that there are some complete sets at TNA, Kew, as well, but I cannot find them to date?

The Fighter Command Weekly Intell Summaries are far too brief I noticed.

Thanks Mark

Last edited by Observer1940; 13th June 2010 at 10:11. Reason: amend text
Old 13th June 2010, 16:48
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: American Volunteers and Fighter Claims Aug 1940

Hello Mark,

From page 45, re Fiske.
Learned to fly in early 1940.
arrived at the Unit having NEVER even sat in a Hurricane.
Clocked up 11 hours on Hurricane while at Tangmere.
Flew 1st operational sortie on 20th July.
By 16th August he had damaged a Bf110 on 11th,followed by a Ju88 destroyed and a 2nd probable 24 hours later.
On the 13th he was credited with 2 Bf110's probably destroyed and 2 damaged.
On the 15th he was out of ammo and manoevred a straggling Ju88 into the Portsmouth Baloon Barrage.
Page 98, re JE Johnson.
Only a reference to 412 Squadron in a sweep from Biggin Hill in reference to Lt.Col Albert Clarke and five other pilots from the 308th Fighter Squadron who were accompanied by 412.
There is quite a Bibliography at the back of the book which gives an a to z of many refs used.

Men of the BoB by Wynn has : Made his first flight in a Hurricane 14th July 40.
with less than 11 hours on Hurricanes he flew his first patrol on the 20th.
Claimed a Ju88 destroyed on August 13th.
Three days later he was shot down.
On 17th he died.

All the best
Alex
Old 13th June 2010, 17:35

Henk Welting is on a distinguished road

Mark,
.......and on page 40 of same is a snapshot of him and following text:
"For many years William Meade Lindsley 'Billy' Fiske was officially deemed to have been the only American killed during the Battle of Britain, but recent research has revealed that he was actually the first of four US citizens to die during the campaign whilst serving with Fighter Command. A wealthy stockbroker, film producer and international sportsman, as well as the husband of the ex-Countess of Warwick. Fiske joined No. 601 Sqn in July 1940, having never even flown a Hurricane ! Effectively trained 'on the job', he proved a gifted fighter pilot, and saw near-daily action from 20 July through to his death on 17 August from wounds received in combat on the previous day".

Henk.
Old 13th June 2010, 19:25

Thank you for responding Alex and Henk via the forum.

I have got photocopies of the Portsmouth and Gosport Balloon Squadron records, also Air Ministry file of German aircraft contacting our Balloon Barrage cables and lists of these incidents copied and no mention of the Billy Fiske 15th Aug 1940 incident at all. That is why I was trying to get a source for the information.

Mark
Old 14th June 2010, 01:39

Tom Semenza
Re: American Volunteers and Fighter Command Claims Aug 1940

Mark,

The following quote is from the Holmes book:

According to the squadron diary, 'Billy' Fiske also succeeded in manoeuvring a straggling Ju 88 into the Portsmouth balloon barrage, having exhausted his ammunition.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 14th June 2010, 09:40

Re: American Volunteers and Fighter Command Claims Aug 1940

Tom

Thank you, I think I need to take another look when at Kew.

Mark