Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th March 2020, 23:22

Nioldur is on a distinguished road
Target guidance by the JLO

Hello all,

I have been looking for information on how the JLO used to guide flights onto the target in Y-Führung. Did he just do it via radio commands or could he also send information in other ways that involved for example the AFN-2 glow intensity in guiding? I think I read that somewhere but can't find it again.

If anyone's familiar with the topic, I'd be happy for some quick information. Thank you so much!
Old 31st March 2020, 00:18
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Target guidance by the JLO

I hope the following is helpful:

FuG 16 Z, ZE and ZY: These sets were airborne VHF transceivers used in single-seat fighter aircraft for R/T and W/T communications, and were also used for ground fixes and DF homing on ground stations when used in conjunction with the FuG 10P or FuG 10ZY. Installed for Bf 109G-3/G-4 and later, Fw 190A-4 and later subtypes. Frequency Range was 38.5 to 42.3 MHz. The FuG 16ZY was also used for Y-Verfahren (Y-Control), in which aircraft were fitted up as Leitjäger or Fighter Formation Leaders that could be tracked and directed from the ground via special R/T equipment. Aircraft equipped with ZY were fitted with a Morane whip aerial array. Principal components: Transmitter, Receiver, Modulator in one case, S 16 Z Tx, E 16 Z Rcvr, NG 16 Z Modulator Dynamotor U 17 Antenna Matching unit AAG 16 Z Modulator Unit MZ 16 Homing Unit ZVG 16 Indicator AFN - 2
Old 31st March 2020, 08:53

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nioldur View Post
Hello all,

I have been looking for information on how the JLO used to guide flights onto the target in Y-Führung. Did he just do it via radio commands or could he also send information in other ways that involved for example the AFN-2 glow intensity in guiding? I think I read that somewhere but can't find it again.

If anyone's familiar with the topic, I'd be happy for some quick information. Thank you so much!
Please see:
http://www.gyges.dk/Himmelbett.htm
this should answer your question and many more, that you did not know you had ;-)
bregds
SES
Old 31st March 2020, 19:24

Thank you SES, but you obviously have no idea about all the question I have

On http://www.gyges.dk/Himmelbett.htm I didnt really find the information, but reading here:

https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/ar...nkgereate.html

I found this interesting segment:
Quote:
Beim Y-Verfahren für_Kampfflugzeuge wurde der Führungsleitstrahl (A) des X-Verfahrens (siehe dazu weiter oben!) als Marschwegkennzeichnung beibehalten. Wenn das Flugzeug etwa 150 km vor dem Ziel voraussichtlich in der Nähe des Leitstrahles angekommen war, meldete es dies und die gewählte Flughöhe (Vereisung!) über das UKW-Sprechgerät FuG 17 E (Lorenz, 42,1...47,7 MHz) zur Bodenstelle A, welche nun den Leitstrahl einschaltete. Dieser wurde mit dem Leitstrahlempfangsgerät FuG 28 a aufgenommen und dann auf die Kurssteuerung aufgeschaltet (siehe weiter oben).
And the FuG 28a was sending data to the AFN-2 as stated here:
Quote:
FuG 28a: Y-Gerät transponder. Based on the Fug17 transceiver with additional components to send the response to the Y-Gerät ground station for the ground station to derive range. Also derived the azimuth signal and displayed the results on the ANF 2 display giving the pilot a left/right command. Operating frequency 24 - 28 MHz. 8 Watts transmit power. The unit also interfaced to the FuG 10 system in the aircraft so that voice communication with the pilot from the ground controllers via the Fug 28a was possible.
So my question is already half way answered!

Now I'd like to find information on how the AFN-2 displayed the received information and if the AFN-2 was still used after the use of a Leitstrahl was discontinued.
Old 31st March 2020, 22:01
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
but you obviously have no idea about all the question I have
Nioldur, these are not the best words to use when you are asking strangers to help you, even if you do put a "smiley face" icon after them.
Old 31st March 2020, 22:43

I'm sorry if this came across the wrong way. It was meant entirely friendly and light hearted. I'm rellay thankful for SES commenting on my question as I have seen he is very knowledgable about the subjects discussed here. My apologies.
Old 31st March 2020, 22:44

SES

Hi,
I think I now understand the original question. It relates to the Y-Kampf Verfarhen or am I wrong?
If so please let me know and I will be back.
bregds
SES