Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th May 2023, 13:17

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Major Hans ‘Assi’ Hahn Award Certificate

Hi John, my first visit was in 1998. Gisela told me that the son had gone to their house in Perpignan and taken the medal collection. I never saw uniforms but I did silverware in the form of trays and goblets given to Hahn from JG 2.
Old 5th May 2023, 13:28
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

It would be nice to see or read his Flugbüche. Maybe his son is still alive...or his grand-sons.
It is very nice to know that some of you have met him and other LW airmen (Falck, etc.) personally, when they were still there.
I had the chance to meet personally one of the very few Brazilian born airmen that flew for the RAF in WW2, back in 2014 (he was 94 then); and also Herr Martin Drewes and another radar technician from Telefunken who worked with NJG 2 and flew with Lent.
As it has been discussed onto this Board several times, without "first hand" accounts (those who were there) it is more difficult to write about WW2, but not impossible. It just loose the personal side.
A nice thread.
Old 5th May 2023, 14:30

Spanferkel is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately it is not uncommon that larger groups of documents (even the status of Hahn) get broken up over the years. Typically, at least with dealers, the complete groups have to few collectors that can afford entire groups so they start to piecemeal items for single sale. Over the years I’ve encountered this with multiple groups I have where I need to reunite items flung far afield over the years.

Interesting piece / collection hopefully most can be kept together.

www.aufhimmelzuhause.com
Old 5th May 2023, 16:08

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

Yes I have never understood why families do that. I have a few collections - I found an LG1 Flugbuch/photo collection on eBay and bought it, many years later a dealer contacted me with the matching Ehrenpokal and Urkunde. Obviously the family had just sold it off piecemeal but it was an amazing feeling to reunite it.

I also own the 5 Flugbuchs and photo collection (none of him sadly!) to Hauptmann Erich Bunge of SG3/4. Apparently his family kept all the medals, his urkunde and personal photos, but sold the rest. I really don't get it all.
Old 5th May 2023, 16:13
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

At the end of the day, it is down to money, not necessarily history. One I./ZG 76 contact died, his nephew was there the next day, took all his photos and FB and was never heard of again. Another 1./JG 53 contact died, his daughter, who was never interested in his wartime career, was very quick to sell his cased EKI and pilot's badge of which he was very proud
Old 5th May 2023, 20:33

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Pardon me for commenting on a possible reason why this collection is being broken up, which apparently was the topic of this thread.
Old 5th May 2023, 21:00

Fredo Hara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. Williams View Post
Hi John, my first visit was in 1998. Gisela told me that the son had gone to their house in Perpignan and taken the medal collection. I never saw uniforms but I did silverware in the form of trays and goblets given to Hahn from JG 2.
Hello David. I sent you a PM. Do you know what happened to Gisela after the death of Wolfgang Falck?
Fred
Old 5th May 2023, 21:33

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fredo and Adriano, I will respond to your pms once we get this weekend out of the way. I saw Gisela again in the summer of 2007 shortly after his death. It was her intention to move to Hamburg to be with one of her four sons. She was the daughter of General von Vietinghoff.
Old 5th May 2023, 22:35

Fredo Hara is on a distinguished road

thank you david.
In Jerry Crandall's very nice book on Hans Hahn, there are screenshots of an 8mm film. have you seen this movie?