Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st October 2012, 00:26
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Our EoE Project to list all Luft unit leaders in combat & combat support units down to the Sta Kap level for the 1939-40 war period

Hello,

While I'm posting on map research problems, I'd like to introduce another area that we're attempting to research for the EoE Project.

Using a similar pattern to that used by the Prien team for the JFV books, we want to list the leadership of each Luftwaffe combat or combat support unit during the 1939-40 war period, including maritime, recon, liaison and transport, down to the Sta Kap level. Not only do we need the names of each officer, but also the dates of service in the respective command position. We already have that information for the Polish Campaign via the Marius Emmerling books for fighter, Zerstorer, bomber and Stuka units, but not recon maritime or transport units. For the latter we're using KTBs, FB, published unit histories, the Luft Officer's Career Summ DB., etc., to try and fill in the information for these units. For the first day of the war, some of these units at the Sta Kap level are cited in Ulf Balke's "Der Lufkrieg im Europa," Vol. 1, as well. For this period and the rest of the 1939-40 war period, we already have this data from the Prien JFV books for all the day fighter units, although there are a small number of cases where this information was missing at the time of publication of these sources. Hopefully we can fill in these gaps. But we'll need the same for all the rest of the Luftwaffe units, which is a very large task. I have all of the German published unit histories that have some of this information, but these are often incomplete and some contain inaccuracies. If anyone already has data to help us fill in the rest of the Luftwaffe units, corrections to the sources I've mentioned above, or know of any comprehensive sources that might provide such information, I'd very much appreciate being notified.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 21st October 2012, 01:33
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Our EoE Project to list all Luft unit leaders in combat & combat support units down to the Sta Kap level for the 1939-40 war period

Hello Larry,

I spotted the following on another forum:

Does anyone know the roll and frame numbers for:

Luftwaffe Personalamt, Dienstaltersliste der Offiziere der Deutschen Luftwaffe nach dem Stande vom 1. August 1944, Bearbeitet im Luftwaffenpersonalamt, L.Dv. Nr. 2010/1

This is cited on zeitzeugen 1939 as an unpublished Luftwaffe officers list from 1944.

Answer:

I just found a microfilm roll I didn't remember I had, and I believe this is the one: T-321 115.

------

Now I know this is the wrong year but perhaps the key words could lead to a different list for the time period you are researching, or jog someone's memory.

Ed
Old 21st October 2012, 04:35
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Our EoE Project to list all Luft unit leaders in combat & combat support units down to the Sta Kap level for the 1939-40 war period

Ed,

This looks like it might be one of the reference documents used by Larry de Zeng and Doug Stankey for their monumental Luftwaffe Officers Career Summary DB, which they've posted on line. They are helping us with our project and are in the processes of further refining their DB, which I'm sure will be a big help to us. Still, many of the Luft officer personnel info is not complete for dates of Sta Kap service, and doing this is likely to be essentially assembling a giant jigsaw puzzle of sources to get this info. Once we've assembled all that we can from all the published and on-line sources available to us, including other researchers with some of the info, we may then have to resort to further research in the BA in order to assemble all of this data. Down to the Geschewader and Gruppe level should be pretty readily available. Its below that, at the Sta Kap level, that we know we are facing a huge challenge. That's why we're seeking cooperation from every member of the research community that might have useful inputs into solving this problem.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator