Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 14th February 2008, 11:13

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road
WWII aces in Syrian Air Force

I know about the Croatian Top As Capitan Mato Dukovac (44 Kills) that he served in the Syrian Air Force in 1948 or so. What kind of airplanes the syrians used at that time? (Former RAF planes or old ones from the Vichy Airforce)?

Was Dukovac the only WWII Veteran served with the Syrian Air Force?
Old 15th February 2008, 03:18

mars
Re: WWII aces in Syrian Air Force

Most like, he flew Harvard
Old 15th February 2008, 03:30

mars

Not long before the war of 1948,Mato Dukovac defect to Italy in a Po-2, after that, he basically lived in a refugee camp, he wanted to settle down in North America, but he was broke, had no money. Since Israel and some Arab conturies were recruiting pilots with WWII combat experience, since he served at Axis side, he was politically unacceptable for Israel, so that his only choice was going to Arab side.
As far as I know, Mato Dukovac did not encount Isarelian aircraft in his brief time served in the Syria airforce, after the war, he eventually settled in the Canada
Old 6th February 2010, 11:28

Lastan is on a distinguished road

mars

1. Incorrect year when Mato Dukovac defected to Italy
2. Incorrect information that he was broke
3. Incorrect informatin that he had no CM for SAF
4. Mato Dukovac got 1 conf. victor, two Siryan AF eye-witness (not Croats!)
5. He left for Canada immediately when receive money-award from SAF

Other: with Mato Dukovac SAF join two ex WW II Croatian AF fighters pilots and one WT operator. In 1949. they both were in IAF, and as Mato Dukovac did, they left for Canada to.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:33

mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastan View Post
mars

1. Incorrect year when Mato Dukovac defected to Italy
2. Incorrect information that he was broke
3. Incorrect informatin that he had no CM for SAF
4. Mato Dukovac got 1 conf. victor, two Siryan AF eye-witness (not Croats!)
5. He left for Canada immediately when receive money-award from SAF

Other: with Mato Dukovac SAF join two ex WW II Croatian AF fighters pilots and one WT operator. In 1949. they both were in IAF, and as Mato Dukovac did, they left for Canada to.
So when Mr Dukovac claimed his victory ? I have almost the complete list of Israel losses in that war, I could do a check
Old 6th February 2010, 21:05

Smile Re: WWII aces in Syrian Air Force

Hmm, so easily...

Try to find out that information from mebers of this Forum: Boris Ciglic, Larry deZeng, and especially from markojeras. They all are familiar with CAF ace capt. Mato Dukovac.

After you receive informations from them, correct your mistakes in my mentions 1./2./3. And, you hawe to impress me, because even in Israel AF in 1948. there was no secret that Mato Dukovac fly in CM against them.

Good luck...
Old 6th February 2010, 22:41

mars

I got my information from Brian Cull who wrote a book about the air war in the Israel independence war, and I also read memoir of some western volunteers who served in the Israel air force, and if you believe me, nowhere I found them mentioned Mr Mato Dukovac, this is not a surprise (at least to me!), since Mr Mato Dukovac fought at the East Front in the WWII, those former USAAF and RAF pilots would hardly had any knowledge of him, and I could say in the year of 1947-1948, most of them would not even know Hartman and Garland.
In the Israel independence war, there was indeed a rumor there was former Luftwaffe aces joined Royal Egyptian Air Force which is far stronger than Syrian Air Force.
At the beginning of the Israel independence war, the Syrian Air Force received two squadrons of AT-6 Harvard trainer from French, and the aircraft of one of these squadrons were fitted with underwing bomb racks and machine guns, this is the reason I guess that it is the Harvard trainer in which Mr Mato Dukovac flew his combat sorties.
Though the Syrian Air Force only played a minor part in that air war comparing to REAF, they did managed to scored one kill which could be confirmed in the Israel record, though the victor is not Mr Mato Dukovac, so if you INDEED have some information about Mr Mato Dukovac's victory, I would be very appropriated if you could let me know, so that I could compare it with the Israel losses.
I am very sorry if I offend you when I said Mr Mato Dukovac was broke when he joined the Syrian Air Force, he was a refugee that time, and in order to earn money to settle in the North America, he had to fought another war. So I assume he must have not money, if I was wrong, and Mr Mato Dukovac indeed had reasonable saving or income, I am sorry, I was wrong. But to my defense, I never said Mr Mato Dukovac never flew combat mission for Syrian, what I said is "As far as I know, Mato Dukovac did not encount Isarelian aircraft in his brief time served in the Syria airforce,"
At last, Sir,I have no intention to impress you.
Old 7th February 2010, 13:20

Smile Re: WWII aces in Syrian Air Force

Perhaps I misunderstand you, thanks for explayn of your work on mato Dukovac. Enjoy a 1 th announced story about Croatians in SAF:

Mato Dukovac escaped to Italy in a Tiger Moth on 8 August 1946. (not in 1945.). As he was born “leader”, immediately after he entered the internment camp Bagnoli near Napoli, he become commander and representative for internists. Beside all position benefits together with Š. Muftić he organize future mercenary pilots. Croatian contingent that in autumn 1947. went to Syria served as trainers and combat mission pilots for the Syrian Air Force. Who were they? Beside Mato Dukovac, and Ljudevit Katušić there where two more fighter pilots and w/t operator Čedomir Čorkalo in SAF. Only Čorkalo went to Syria without proper doccuments, and he was actually hidden on the boat for Haifa harbour. Beside Croatians, in SAF squadrons where pilots from GB, Germany, Italy, France, Iraq etc. Mato fly first mission as member of 1st Aerial Squadron onCanadian – built T-6 Harvard armed with two 0.303 Browning machine-guns, equiped with a radio from al Mezze airfield (near Damascus). Continuewith flying training course for cadets in 1948. from airfields around Istabl (in Lebanon). Mato's mission in aircraft number 207 (Harvard) with gunner Fadil Shatra to bomb Tuba on July 14th was actually the first occasion that, Israeli intelligence report state about foreign volunteers in Arab Armies… His only aerial victory occur few days latter, on dangerous recco mission with SAF commander himself in his T-6 on gunner position. In fact his wingman, Iraqian pilot got order from commander to attack an Israeli scout aircraft (described as Fairchild 24) that they observe.
Iraqian pilot miss and lost ammunition, and new order was given to Mato Dukovac. He made turn and in one minute put him in position to shot IAF aircraft down. Mato was argue about commander risk and stupidity, but he was awarded with two month salary plus aerial victory bonus. Before the end of 1948. Mato Dukovac interrupt contract with SAF and went to Canada. He stated to other Croatian pilots – this is one more unfair war! Under his recommend two of them in 1949. join Israeli Air Force, and like in SAF they fly like civilians, voluntary employee with no ranks…
This information about Mato Dukovac serving with SAF is separated from manuscript for 2 nd edition of book: Air Force of the Independent State of Croatia 1941 – 1945. by Danijel Frka, Josip Novak and Siniša Pogačić. Authentic records and interviews with two SAF pilots about Mato Dukovac, keep Josip Novak in his archive.
And a few important things about Mato Dukovac and other Croatian pilots: he and other pilots were not anti-Semites! They fly for money, promises was given to them in Italy that they shall serve as fly instructors in SAF, not a combat pilots.
Mato Dukovac was born on September 23rd, 1918. in Zemun and attended the Franjevacka Crkva Sv. Ante in Zemun. He was a Catholic and seriously considered becoming a Franscian Priest before the WW II. His relatives and closest friends agree that statement about he was a "pravoslavac" is flat out ridiculous and one more nonsense. His serving in SAF was brilliant but with only one victory as described above.

regards, Lastan
Old 7th February 2010, 19:20

mars

Thanks! This is more clear, actually I could find Mr Dukovac's July 14th mission in the Israel record, "A pair of unindentified aircraf, either SAF Harvards or RIrAF Ansons, supported an Arab attack on Sejera in the Central Galilee"
"His only aerial victory occur few days latter...(described as Fairchild 24)", I am not aware IAF had Fairchild in the air force, but that could be a mis-identification with Auster. And Israeli did suffer 1 Auster and 1 Norseman damaged on July 14th, though most likely both were hit by ground fire of Egyptian. On July 17th, An Israel Aerovan (B-71), used as an air ambulance, forced landing at the south of Bat Yam because of engine failure, 1 of the crews, 3 wounded Israel soldiers and 1 nurse were massacred by Arab Militia.IAF lost no other aircraft between Mr Dukovac's first combat mission and the first truce on July 20
The most interesting is the following account which also occured on July 14th:"A red painted Arab Airways Dragon Rapide(TJ-AAJ), en route for Amman from Damascus, was attacked during the morning over nothern Palestine by a single-engine aircraft- identified as a Syrian Harvard. The airliner suffered minor damage to its fuselage and wings, before its British pilot was able to re-cross the frontier into Syria and force-land his unarmed machine" But since this incident occured on July 14, It should have nothing to do with Mr Dukovac.
Old 10th February 2010, 00:08

Horst Fliegel is on a distinguished road

A air battle twixt Ezer Weizman in his Avia (aka Me109)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezer_Weizman and Dukovac would've been interesting!