Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th February 2008, 12:26

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Mission Completion 1st's

Thought I would start a new thread rather than detract from the Memphis Belle thread.

I'm hoping that we can build a list of 1st's for various bombers ie names or registrations of the particular bomber that first completed it's tour eg Blenheim, Whitley, Wellington, Hampton, Boston, B-25, B-26, B-24, B-29, Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling etc.

From the Memphis Belle thread we know that the first B-17 to complete 25 missions was "Hells Angels", although the Belle was the first to complete it with crew.

Anyone know of first's for the above?
Old 7th February 2008, 22:01

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: Mission Completion 1st's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oxley View Post
Thought I would start a new thread rather than detract from the Memphis Belle thread.

I'm hoping that we can build a list of 1st's for various bombers ie names or registrations of the particular bomber that first completed it's tour eg Blenheim, Whitley, Wellington, Hampton, Boston, B-25, B-26, B-24, B-29, Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling etc.

From the Memphis Belle thread we know that the first B-17 to complete 25 missions was "Hells Angels", although the Belle was the first to complete it with crew.

Anyone know of first's for the above?
Jim - I have to research but it isn't conclusive that there wasn't a 5th AF (19BG?) or 9th/12th AF B-17 that didn't complete 25 sooner than Hell's Angels. The 19BG (i.e Shorty Wheless CMOH) was flying combat missions from December 8, 1941 and the Belle and Hell's Angels were only flying a year later.. otherwise you may have to narrow down to ETO

Regards,

Bill
Old 8th February 2008, 20:11

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Jim -
Book; Claims to Fame , B - 17s by Steve Birdsall
Interesting Book
Many Copies less than $10.00
www.abebooks.com
Type in Author , title , Search
Mike
Old 8th February 2008, 23:10

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

I was actually thinking of the ETO Bill, but frankly it doesn't have to be limited to that Theatre.

And just in case I didn't make it clear, I'm interested in the first to complete a tour by bomber type, not just B-17's. For example, would anyone know what was the first Lancaster to complete a tour?