Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th November 2008, 15:55
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Clostermann meets Beurling ?

Hi guys

I expect many of you have a copy of, or at least read, Pierre Clostermann's FLAMES IN THE SKY, which was originally published in 1952, in which he wrote of an encounter with Screwball Beurling at CGS Catfoss in 1944. Closterman was quite specific:

"I met S/Ldr George Beurling DSO DFC DFM and Bar, for the first time at Catfoss at the end of July 1944."

Firstly, as far as I am aware, Beurling was in Canada the whole of 1944, and was not a squadron leader. Clostermann goes on to say that Beurling was publicly 'ticked off' in his presence by the station commander Grp Capt Sailor Malan. He also says that he became pals with the US ace Richard Bong while at Ctafoss.

From what I have learned of Beurling's post-Malta movements is that he was at CGS Sutton Bridge in mid 1943 as an instructor, and back in Canada by early 1944.

So, did Clostermann meet Beurling at Sutton Bridge in mid-1943, not Catfoss in mid-1944? Where does Malan come into the equation? Was he at Sutton Bridge in 1943? Was Bong in the UK at all? Or was Clostermann name-dropping to make a good story?

Very interesting, don't you think? I would appreciate comments.

Cheers
Brian
Old 12th November 2008, 19:42

Atcham Tower is on a distinguished road
Re: Clostermann meets Beurling ?

Even more intriguing, what was Richard Bong doing at Catfoss?
Old 12th November 2008, 19:59

Bruce Lander is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have never heard that Bong even came to the UK, although between May and September he was rested in USA.

any more information?

Cheers

Bruce Lander
Old 12th November 2008, 21:50
Alter Hase

CJE

Nothing can surprise me with Clostermann.
According to "Le Grand Cirque 2000", he shaked F/Lt Deleuze's hand (another Free French) three days after he died!
Deleuze was killed on 25.02.45 and Clostermann was posted to 274 on 28.02.45.