Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th December 2013, 07:40
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking photos of Stab I & II./KG26 He111s with white formation tail markings 09.40

Hello,

For profiling purposes, I'm trying to locate photo of Stab, I and II./KG26 He111Hs carrying very thick vertical tail bands that were only used during Sept., 1940, as formation markings when the unit was participating in massed daylight raids on Britain. Thereafter, these were painted out with black paint for night operations, but you can still see where they were over-painted black in some photos.

For the Sept., 1940 profiles for these two Gruppen, I've found profile subjects for 1 Staffel, probably 1H+AH, and certainly 1H+KH, and 2 Staffel: 1H+FK and 1H+CK. These all had two large and very thick white vertical stripes on the tail. For II Gruppe, I have examples (painted out with black) of 1H+AC and 1H+KN. Surprisingly, II Gruppe only used a single very wide stripe.

It does not appear the III./KG26 would have had these, as they didn't return to the French coast from Germany until late in September, and then began working up as night pathfinders, so a/c of that unit probably never carried these tactical markings.

So what I'm needing are examples from the KG26 Geschwaderstab (if they even used them), Stab I./KG26, 3./KG26, 4./KG26 and 6./KG26.

Most of the known examples can be found in Alexander Steenbeck's excellent book on KG26, "Die Spur des Löwen."

Who can help fill these profile gaps for Sept., 1940?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 6th December 2013 at 22:40.
Old 6th December 2013, 22:37
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking photos of Stab I & II./KG26 He111s with white formation tail markings 09.40

Hello,

In order to support your helping us with the EoE profile project, I thought that I'd post these two photos that show examples of these white tactical markings on tails of KG26 aircraft.

http://ihra.smugmug.com/photos/i-3pK...-3pKvNss-M.jpg

This shows 1H+A? of II./KG26. This may show 1H+AN that was later lost over England on 24.09.40.

http://ihra.smugmug.com/photos/i-NFC...-NFCHG2N-M.jpg

This one shows 1H+FK of 2./KG26. This came from the recently published KG26 history by Alex Steenbeck.

Counter-intuitively, I Gruppe used a double vertical bar, and II Gruppe used a single vertical bar. These types of markings were in use for only a very short time on all German bomber formations that participated in the big daylight raids on Britain during the first two weeks of Sept., including 7.9 and 15.9.40. After that they remained on the a/c for a while but by October there were pretty well gone as these were apparently done in either white or pink whitewash-type paint that didn't last long. And, yes, these bars on the a/c of some Geschwader were in pink.

Any help with documenting these markings in photos would be greatly appreciated, especially with the Staffeln for which I have no reference photos (see original post).

Regards,

Larry Hickey

EoE Project Coordinator
Old 14th December 2013, 17:06

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking photos of Stab I & II./KG26 He111s with white formation tail markings 09.40

Hi, Larry...

Not sure if you've seen this or indeed, already have it but I noticed it recently from ebay and it has the tail bars you've been enquiring about. Just thought I'd draw you attention to it. Caption with it states:

Photo(s) originale(s) format env.8,5x6. Annotée " Abgestürtztes Flugzeug nahe bei unserem Schloss. Von Löwengeschwader sept.1940". cette Löwengeschw. est le KG 26, l'insigne du reste est parfaitement visible. Comme le dit le texte, cet appareil a donc été abattu pres du château de La Chapelle, lui meme a proximité de Dieppe.

Regards,

Paul
Old 14th December 2013, 21:40
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Paul,

Thanx for pointing this one out. Yes, we're already working that one, which is a well-known crash.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 15th December 2013, 08:48

GaraiB is on a distinguished road

Hello Larry,

I found just one photos the above mentioned He111. 1H+KN
Best regards,

Balazs
Old 2nd May 2015, 12:39

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road

Hi...

Just a few queries on these tail markings, if I may... were they applied over both sides of the tailplane, or just one? In addition, does this particular aircraft, http://ihra.smugmug.com/photos/i-3pK...-3pKvNss-M.jpg, also carry a single white bar on the upper (L) wing, extending inwards from the tip? Were corresponding upper wing bars always applied?

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by obdl3945; 2nd May 2015 at 13:25.
Old 2nd May 2015, 12:59

KennyK404 is on a distinguished road

Here is 1H+IH

southendpatriot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-1940-foulness-island-heinkel-crash.html
Old 2nd May 2015, 15:31
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Having the original photo of 1H+KN, I think you will find this photo was taken later than Sep 40 and in any case the K would not have been in white
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:37
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Chris,

Is the photo of 1H+KN that you're talking about the one with the markings blacked out for night operations? I also have two photos of that a/c, which obviously was later in the Blitz than September. In my photos the vertical bar from mid-September is blacked over.
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:56
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Kenny,

Thanx for posting the website on the Foulness FL of He111 1H+IH. I already have the photos, but the local color and recent photos and map were useful.