Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th February 2013, 23:34

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Ghostbombers updates

Nick - I found the note on the Ultra Air Digests very interesting. What a shame these aren't amongst the freely downloadable DEFE3 material.

Whilst posting, I should just also say a word of thanks for everything you've posted up on your site over the years on the Ultra topic.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:52
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I've just posted the following additions and updates to my website:
  • A new article on trial He 111 torpedo operations in the summer of 1940.
  • More about Hptm. Georg Seckel of Jagdgruppe 200 and a listing of seven more Bf 109s belonging to the Gruppe.
  • New information about Bf 109 G-6 W.Nr. 15862 of Staffel Kaatsch and 5.(F)/123; more about the later careers of some of the Staffel's pilots; more about the service careers of Bf 109 W.Nr. 15862 and 412169.
  • Some small addtions to the article on NAG 6 and the Me 262. including the reason why W.Nr. 111570 crashed.
  • More about Bf 109s W.Nr. 161369, 710023 and 710091 of 3./NAG 13.
  • A little more about Obltn. Kopf of Kommando Braunegg.
  • A couple of additional graphics on the Using Ultra pages.
Old 12th March 2013, 19:04

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Great work as always Nick.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:15
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

• The first instalment of an article about Geschwader Bongart and its war against the French Resistance, March–September 1944. (The plan is for the second part to cover July 1944; the third, August-September plus sources and appendix);
  • II./NJG 6 in Italy: photograph of Fw. Bunje and his crew (thanks to Theo Boiten).
  • A small addition to the Kampfflieger page on anti-guerilla operations in France.
  • A small addition to the Staffel Kaatsch article about plans to return 2./NAG 13 to action and more about the death of Oblt. Theodor Spiess.
  • A correction to a loss report on an Fw 190 A-6 of III./SG 4 and information about the machine's actual fate; also, a note about a Ju 52 which carried supplies for the Gruppe.
  • Me 262 and NAG 6: a small addition re Obltn. Kopf's detachment from 5.(F)/123.
  • A revision to the account of Jagdgruppe 200's action on 14 July and a small addition regarding the unit's bomb damage losses on 24 July 1944.
Old 1st May 2013, 03:19
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Great stuff Nick! THX!
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:53
Super Moderator

Posted today to ghostbombers.com:
  • The second instalment of the Geschwader Bongart article, covering July 1944, plus a map of bases and operations. Also, a link from the section about 22 June 1944 to a French website's animated map of operations on the Vercors Plateau.
  • SG 4: last battles in Italy: an additional map and consequential rearrangement of two pages.
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:53

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Nick,

As always your input and articles are most interesting and a joy to read. In your 'published sources' at the end of the article about the II./NJG 6 in Italy, you refer to the alleged 6 victories as said/written by Gebhard Aders.
For your understanding it is good to know that his famous work 'History of German nightfighting 1917-1945' contains claims of nightfighter crews, which find their origin in the Nonnenmacher/Ring lists. These are known as a cocktail of many true claims but many fictional claims as well, just added to see later who used their compilation without given permission. One notorious example are the alleged victories of Reinhold Knacke (1./NJG 1), five in one mission (!) on 16/17 September 1942. There is no single piece of documentary support for this spectacular nocturnal fight...

All the best and keep up the good work! Marcel
Old 5th June 2013, 00:50

GranddaughterofLuftwaffe is on a distinguished road

Nick, Would you happen to have any information about Unit 11/NJG5 my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in that unit. The plane he was on on April 11th, 1944 was shot down and i was wondering if you had any info on that crash or pictures, or if you may have any information on the Unit he was in and or any pictures of he and the other men in his unit. the Pilot on the day of the crash was Karl Kades, not my Grandfather that day.
You may reach me or my Father which is Axel Otto Tillack"Camp" the son of Otto Karl Tillack via here or via our emails. Mine is: charlotterookswrites72@hotmail.com
and my Father`s is: alexrrcamp@gmail.com
Thank you in advance,
Char and Axel
Old 1st July 2013, 10:50
Super Moderator

• The third instalment of the Geschwader Bongart article, covering August–September 1944, plus an assessment of the unit's operations, a list of known aircraft, and sources and acknowledgements. I've also made various smaller additions to the earlier instalments.
  • NAG 6 and the Me 262: information about the posting of 37 men from NAG 9 to Einsatzkommando Braunegg in Lechfeld.
  • Jagdruppe 200: two new pages about Uffz. Walter Lang; more detail of sorties flown on 9 June 1944; more about Uffz. Walter Cöster's demise on 7 August 1944; brief additions covering anti-partisan operations on 15 June 5 July 1944.
  • Addition to the Geschwader recognition bands article of an ULTRA message on security during a move by elements of JG 3.
  • Staffel Kaatsch: Werk Nummer added for an aircraft damaged on a mission on 29 August 1944 and amendments to one appendix.
  • Various minor corrections and layout changes.
Old 1st July 2013, 13:28
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for the work you are doing.

Best regards, Franck.