Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd February 2016, 23:45

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road
Query re Albert Friedemann for Peter Cornwall

Hi Peter,
I hope that you do not mind me picking your brain.
I am looking at the incident involving Albert Friedemann of JG52.
As you know he was shot down on October 20th 1940.

In a previous discussion regarding the incident you posted that the engine, forward fuselage, cockpit section, & wings fell as a complete unit, landing inverted off Plumstead Road, in Woolwich. (See link below).

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archiv...hp?t-4272.html

I have always previously believed that this 109 had landed in Wickham Street, Welling. Friedemann's body was found in Gibsons Farm, Welling which is located next to Wickham Street.
A witness also described the tail unit falling away before the bulk of the aircraft landed in Wickham Street.

Could I ask what source you used to locate its final resting place at Plumstead Road?

I am trying to confirm who shot it down.
It is usually credited to Bryan Draper of 74 Squadron and his combat report described the location of his 109 claim as Woolwich / Kidbrooke which would suit your location.
Incidentally, do you know where Drapers spitfire landed? His report says he force landed in a field due to combat damage after the attack.

However, Mungo-Park also claimed a 109 and whilst his report doesn't identify the exact location (He was unable to follow it down due to being attacked) it does describe the tail unit falling away prior to the aircraft crashing which exactly matches the eye witness account.

So many questions!!
Anyway, I appreciate whatever clarity you can offer.
Kind regards
Gerry
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:02
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Query re Albert Friedemann for Peter Cornwall

Gerry
Might I suggest that the location came from the K Report which Peter had access to many many moons ago and which is repeated in LCA Vol 5 page 609-610-Plumstead Road, Welling near Bexley Heath 1345 hrs. The main parts were the fuselage from the trailing edge forwards and tail
Old 3rd February 2016, 16:09

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Chris is correct. My original source was RAF A.I.1(k) Report No.778/1940 (as attached). However, in a message timed at 13.45 hours on 20 October 1940, Group 8 (London Region) Bexley ARP reported 'Plane crashed in field behind the vicarage, Wickham Street, Welling. 1 casualty. Plane was a Messerschmitt. Pilot baled out but parachute caught fire. Body riddled with bullets. 1 killed.' This, plus the photo evidence, tends to confirm that the aircraft broke up in mid-air hence the differing reports over its exact location.

In my view DRAPER's claim remains the most valid given the location quoted in his Form F compared to that of MUNGO-PARK who recorded 'Maidstone Area' for his claim. Nor was MUNGO-PARK alone in describing the tail breaking off his victim - STEPHENS recorded similar for a 109 he chased from Sevenoaks to Dungeness. I have no idea precisely where DRAPER crash-landed after this combat.

Last edited by Peter Cornwell; 8th June 2017 at 09:09.
Old 3rd February 2016, 20:23

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road

Dear Chris and Peter,
Many thanks for your replies and the attached K report which I appreciate very much.
I will see if I can identify the site that Draper landed his damaged Spitfire.
The incident was very close to my home hence the interest.
Kind regards
Gerry