Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd January 2018, 23:24

Smithy is on a distinguished road
64 Sqn, RAF October 1940 to March 1941

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm after photos of 64 Sqn's Spitfires during the period from October 1940 until March 1941 when they were based at Leconfield, Coltishall, Hornchurch and Southend (and 2 days at Biggin Hill but I'm not expecting much from then!).

I'm trying to ascertain when 64 started reapplying serial numbers to their aircraft as during their time at Kenley they had been painted over. I have a plan for a modelling project of a relative's aeroplane and have the codes and serial number but really want to know if it would have carried a serial or if this would've still been painted out.

Any and all help much appreciated, thanks,

Tim

PS - Any personnel photos from this period would also be wonderful as well. I have a few myself but anything extra would be excellent.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:47

debowa is on a distinguished road
Re: 64 Sqn, RAF October 1940 to March 1941

I don't think it's a case of the squadron reapplying serial numbers, more a case of 'stopped painting them out'. Many Battle of Britain squadrons seem to have removed serial numbers from their fighters early in the war. In some cases they were reapplied at the time in very small numbers on the fin. When fin flashes were applied, these also disappeared from view.

This practice seems to have stopped before the beginning of the Battle of Britain so any aircraft delivered from then on are likely to have the serials in the normal place.
I'd therefore suggest that the key as to whether your chosen Spitfire has a visible serial is all down to when it was delivered to the squadron, roughly pre May 1940 no, post May 1940 yes.

Mark P