Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th February 2006, 18:07

Norbert Schuchbauer
Marauder B-26 Targets?

Hi all,
I'm looking for information regarding the Targets for Marauder units against Germany in Feb. and Mar. 1945. Of greatest interest is the Schweinfurt area.

Thanks in advance,

Norbert
Old 9th February 2006, 02:59

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road
Re: Marauder B-26 Targets?

B - 26s were attacking tactical targets during these two months in support of 3 Allied AAF Operations " Clarion " , "Grenade" and "Varsity".
3 main goals were 1) Interdiction of the Rhine - Bridges and Marshalling Yards 2) Destruction of Supplies - ordnance depots , transport depots etc. 3) Close cooperation with Ground Forces - communication centers ,
troop concentrations , barracks , transportation.
For a detailed account of this period and the History of the 9th AF , get book " The 9th AF in WW II " by Kenn Rust. Excellent book! I have it and use it a lot. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 9th February 2006, 07:47

Norbert Schuchbauer

Hi Mike,
thanks a lot for the info, will get me started in the right direction. Any idea of targets in the Schweinfurt/ Ebrach area?

Thanks,

Norbert
Old 9th February 2006, 14:16
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooshoobaby
For a detailed account of this period and the History of the 9th AF , get book " The 9th AF in WW II " by Kenn Rust.
Add to that "Battle Over Bavaria" by Robert Forsyth for detailed accounts of some specific actions in april 1945.
Old 9th February 2006, 20:49

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Here are some targets listed: Saar - Palatinate triangle , Wetzler , Niederhausen , giesen , Solingen , Unna , Vlotho, Lang gon , Butzbach , Freidberg , Dulman , Wehrstapel , Friedberg , geizenberg , Hillesheim , Worms . Early April - Gottingen , Amberg - Kummersbruck , Memmingen
Hope this helps - let me know if more info needed.
Mike
Old 9th February 2006, 23:58

Rabe Anton
Marauder B-26 Targets?

Gruß Gott Norbert!

I strongly suggest that far and away the best reference for Ninth AF medium bomber targets and attacks during the spring of 1945 is Kit C. Carson and Robert Mueller, The Army Air Forces in World War II: Combat Chronology, 1941-1945 (Washington, D.C.: Office of Air Force History, 1973), 990 pages. This volume is a chronological day-by-day summary of all USAAF air operations from the beginning to the end of World War II. Each day is broken down by numbered air forces (Seventh, Eighth, Eleventh, Fifteenth, etc.) with a paragraph or two about that air force's operations on the stated day. Targets (most, but of course, not all) are given, along with categories and numbers of aircraft attacking them (heavy bombers, medium bombers, fighter-bombers, etc.) and tons of bombs dropped. There is a superb 300-page geographic place name index at the back of the book, so all that you have to do is look up a place (even a little place) to see when it was attacked!

Carson and Mueller has been widely distributed. You should be able to find a copy even in Europe without too much trouble. The www.bookfinder.com will doubtless also have a number of copies for sale. I would expect the price to be extremely reasonable.

I do warmly urge you to find Carson and Mueller, for I think it is simply the very best beginning for your research.

Best wishes,

RA
Old 10th February 2006, 11:21

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Hi!

The Carlson & Mueller (or Carter & Mueller?) book seems to be availabe also at the "Numbered USAF Historical Studies" homepage in pdf-format. It's number 128.
URL: http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroo...s/studies3.php

Couldn't make the download working though ("The operation timed out..."). Could be a temporary problem.

Kari
Old 10th February 2006, 21:07

Norbert Schuchbauer

Thank you all for the wonderful details. I will attempt to get the book you recommended Anton (Grüß Gott to you!). I'm a little short on time right now, have to go to work, but I will read the thread a little more in detail and let everybody know if I need more help. Thanks again to you all,

Bis bald,

Norbert
Old 15th February 2006, 21:24

Norbert Schuchbauer

Thanks again for everything. I found what I needed. It actually was an A-26 of the 386 BG lost on 31. mar 1945.

Norbert