Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th December 2018, 10:06

Lucky Luke is on a distinguished road
Hs 126 crash 12 May 1940

I am researching the crash of a Hs 126 at the village Mechelen-Bovelingen in Belgium. This crash is well documented with at least one photo published in various books and on the internet, among others in ‘The Battle of France Then and now’ but also on this website:
http://www.grootheers.be/html/vliegt...ens_wo_ii.html

The crew was reported Fw Hans Poller and Fw Wilhelm Meyer of 1.(H)/41 who both perished in the crash.

The Kracker database on Aircrewremember.com lists Poller as being buried at the large German cemetery at Lommel, Belgium, block 15, grave 338. I visited this cemetery e few weeks ago but found the grave of Johann Poller, not Hans Poller at this reference, although the date of his death fits with the date of 12 May 1940 for this crash. The rank is not quoted but is marked as Flg which I think is the abbreviation for Flieger, so either pilot or aircrew.

I still have some doubts as the first name is different. Where is the error: was it not Hans but Johann Poller who crashed on 12 May 1940 at Mechelen-Bovelingen, is the name on the grave wrong, has the crew member a double name Hans Johann Poller, or are we talking about two different persons, both died on 12 May 1940?

I would also like to know where the other crew member, Wilhelm Meyer, is buried. Logically, both crew members would have been buried together but maybe he was transferred later to his home town?

Any help in clearing this anomaly would be appreciated.

Best regards
Luc
Old 10th December 2018, 10:57
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hs 126 crash 12 May 1940

Two points I can answer:

Flieger was a rank, the Luftwaffe equivalent of "private" (US) or Aircraftman Second Class (RAF), not a specific role.

Hans can be a name in its own right but it is also the familiar form of Johann or Johannes, so it may well be the same man: Hans to his friends, Johann on his birth certificate.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:04

Thank you Nick, that is very useful and probably clears up part of the anomaly.

May I deduce from this that Flg Johann Poller was the observer and not the pilot of this Hs 126? With such a low rank, this would be logical.

Luc
Old 10th December 2018, 12:50
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

In the NVM name is Hans Poller and rank Fw. Anyway, his DOB is same as that of Johann Poller at VDK files. Almost for sure the same guy.

Wilhelm Meyer's grave should be:
Lommel/Belgien, Block 21, Grab 502.

Matti
Old 10th December 2018, 13:23
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
May I deduce from this that Flg Johann Poller was the observer and not the pilot of this Hs 126? With such a low rank, this would be logical.

Luc
Matti's post has answered about this particular man but more generally in the Luftwaffe (a) a Flieger could be a pilot (there was no minimum pilot's rank as in Allied air forces) and (b) the observer (Beobachter) was often the highest-ranking member of a crew. So Luftwaffe logic wasn't quite the same as in other nations!
Old 10th December 2018, 15:06

Nick and Matti, thank you. This solves my questions about this loss.

I will need to pay a new visit to Lommel to check the grave coordinates Matti gave.

Best regards to all

Luc