Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 10th September 2016, 00:09

nuvola10 is on a distinguished road
A6M2 data plate help

Hi,help me to identified the use of this a6m2 data plate.
many thank's in advance,and best regard's.

Last edited by nuvola10; 10th September 2016 at 08:02.
Old 10th September 2016, 03:52

R Leonard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A6M2 data plate help

No none of them are.
Old 10th September 2016, 22:06

Well, your original question, before you edited out the original wording, asked if what you were showing was the data plate from the Koga Zero. I answered to the negative. You apparently accepted that, which was nice of you, especially since the actual "Koga Zero" data plate is in the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institute. But, just to be clear, I saw no data plate from the Koga Zero. In fact, I see NO data plate from any Japanese A6M type aircraft.

An A6M data plate looks like this. In fact, the data plate from what's called the "Koga Zero" looks exactly like this one, as that is what it is, the "Koga Zero" data plate. Note line 3 where it is stamped "A6M2". Note line 5, the manufacturer's serial number, "4593". This is the number of the A6M2 recovered from the Aleutians, the "Koga Zero". This number appears in my father's pilot's flight log book six times, three in September 1944, the 14th, 18th, and 19th and three times in October 1944, the 21st, 24th, and the 25th. For each of these flights the aircraft type is noted a "Zeke-2".

The starboard folding wing tip, the manifold pressure gauge, and the airspeed indicator from A6M2 #4593 are in the Navy Museum at Washington Navy Yard. My father salvaged those parts from a pile of rubble after the plane was destroyed in a runway collision and donated same to the museum, much to my dismay, in the mid 1980's.

I've not idea as to what aircraft your artifacts are associated. Without that information they're not worth a whole lot, I hope you haven't spent a pile of money on what someone told you was from a Zero.

Last edited by R Leonard; 11th September 2016 at 01:40.
Old 10th September 2016, 23:27

Ih,yes i have re-writing the questions because i'm not write english very well..i'm sorry for my bad english.
This image of data plate was in a book "Koga's zero" and in the internet page "pacifc wrecks" and all stats from Koga aircraft. Im going to build the 1/32 a6m2 from marvellous Tamiya kit and i want to make it's final marking in Koga's colours.
And i'm writing some information for this aircraft for all people can see my model.
Thank's for the info and thank's for your father's that contribuited at the nazi-fascist liberation during the war,many thnk's! Max,Rome from Italy.
Old 11th September 2016, 00:33

Do you know the precise date when the 4593 is destriyed,i know only feb.1945 but not the day.
best regard's,max.
Old 11th September 2016, 01:51

Seems that no one ever wrote it down. Pilot at the time was Dick Crommelin. He was waiting for take off clearance when a SB2C came straight up behind him (they were supposed to zig-zag or have a minder sitting on the wing because the pilot can't see over the cowl if he goes in a straight line in a taxi-way), long story short, the prop of the S2BC proceeded to shred the A6M2, finally stopping just short of the cockpit. Dick Crommelin walked away without a scratch, but old 4593 was totaled. Crommelin and my father were classmates at USNA and shared a cabin aboard USS Yorktown (CV-5) when their squadron VF-42 was aboard from June 41 thru the bitter end at Midway, June 1942. Dick, though, was later killed in a mid-air collision off Hokkaido on 15 July 1945 as skipper of VF-88. Chris Cagle, the XO, moved up to CO; Johnny Adams, another VF-42 vet, moved up from FO to XO . . . Adams had been my father's wingman at Midway.

Last edited by R Leonard; 11th September 2016 at 05:12.
Old 13th September 2016, 13:34

udf_00 is on a distinguished road

The first pic looks like a data plate from the ailerons :
http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/r...y_markings.htm
See Photo 1, bottom plate from HAP No.3036
Old 13th September 2016, 20:24

Many thank's at all for the info!
best regard's,max!