Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th April 2010, 20:16

jupiter is on a distinguished road
Lancaster lm546 28/29/7/44

HI I am researching my grandfather who was the pilot of Lancaster lm546, which was shot down on the 28/29/7/44 on a raid over stuttgart.
The aircraft crashed in a wooded area near Esslingen/Plochingen, which is SE of Stuttgart. Crew reports state that they baled at 0110hrs English time.
I am trying to find out who shot him down?
My theory is it was Ufftz M.Ullmann who claimed a 4 engine bomber SE of Stuttgart at 0214hrs. A friend belives it was Lau at 0158hrs, however that does not fit due to the location and the recorded crash site. Ideally i would like to find the combat report, to see if it sheds any more light.

I am indebted to Larry Naylor, surviving Mid-Upper Gunner, for his invaluable assistance in constructing this account of events leading to the loss of Lancaster LM546, CF-O of 625 Squadron on the Stuttgart Raid of 28 - 29 July 1944.
As a mid-upper gunner on Avro Lancaster B111-LM546 of 625 Squadron based at RAF Kelstern, I was part of a crew on our twenty-third operation. With fingers crossed that we would complete our required thirty operations, we took off on the night of 28th July 1944 for our target, which was, in fact, Stuttgart.
Following a few "dog-legs" to avoid known flak batteries, we could see our target approaching and could hear the Master Bomber requesting that we bomb the green TI’s (Target Indicators).
As we approached the target, accurate fire from a Messerschmitt stopped the starboard engine and the undercarriage leg hung down with the tyre on fire. The port engine and wing were set alight with brilliant white flames reaching rearward.
At 01:10 hours, the Skipper, PO Frank Collett, gave the order "Bale Out" from ten thousand feet. Both the rear gunner and I remembered to dive out head first from the rear door to avoid being hit by the tail plane (which is fairly close). The rest of the crew baled out safely.

After checking the times that the rest of the squadron bombed 0049- 0059 the aircraft must have bombed.

Thanks
Pete