Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th March 2017, 17:30

James Farrimond is on a distinguished road
MV Deucalion - Operation Pedestal August 1942

Good afternoon gentleman

Can anyone tell me whether any particular a/c laid claim to dropping the aerial torpedo which sunk the MV Deucalion a she participated in Operation Pedestal to Malta on 12th August 1942?

I know that Ju 88s from KG 54 and KG 77 were involved but I imagine as a torpedo was the culprit it might have been dropped by an He 111 from 6/KG 26?

Cheers

James
Old 5th March 2017, 11:19

AndreasB is on a distinguished road
Re: MV Deucalion - Operation Pedestal August 1942

According to this the torpedo bombers came from the school in Grossetto?

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=175142

All the best

Andreas
Old 6th March 2017, 13:49

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Farrimond View Post
I know that Ju 88s from KG 54 and KG 77 were involved but I imagine as a torpedo was the culprit it might have been dropped by an He 111 from 6/KG 26?
Hello James,

The only frontline Luftwaffe torpedo-bomber units in the area as of 10 August were Stab I./K.G. 26 – 4 aircraft and 3 crews assigned to torpedo training at Grosetto and 6./K.G. 26 – 10 aircraft in the same location. The successes are usually assigned to 6./K.G. 26, perhaps by default, rather than based on a specific report.

As the following thread on the Marinearchiv forum from 2010 shows, it is difficult to disentangle whether some of the torpedo-bombers were in fact on the strength of I./K.S.G. 2, the torpedo school:
http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf...topic=12859.15

Another thread on the same forum, a recent one from autumn of last year, is highly interesting. A relative of the 6./K.G. 26 pilot who was killed in the attack on the Pedestal convoy wrote that the pilot was assigned to the school, while the unit history reports that the aircraft had a double unit assignment - III./K.G. 26 (I./K.S.G. 2)

It is also mentioned there that a thrid edition of the KG 26 unit history by Alexander Steenbeck may be forthcoming, at an unknown date: "Geplant war noch eine 3. Auflage, Zeitpunkt ungewiß, wenn überhaupt."
http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf...?topic=27199.0

The consensus appears to be that 6./K.G. 26 was the unit involved, see an Italian-language discussion from 2007:
http://it.cultura.storia.militare.na...l-mediterraneo

Francesco Mattesini, the Italian naval historian, wrote that 6./K.G. 26 operated together with aircraft of the torpedo school, but the issue remains unresolved:
http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewto...21511&start=30

Warm regards,

Paul
Old 6th March 2017, 18:12
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

From what I can see, there were 10 He 111s of 6./KG 26 at Grosseto which were operationally ready. 6 He 111s attacked evening of 11 Aug 42, 7 attacked the following evening, 6 attacked on 13 Aug 42 and three the next day
Old 7th March 2017, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
6 He 111s attacked evening of 11 Aug 42, 7 attacked the following evening, 6 attacked on 13 Aug 42 and three the next day
Are you looking at reports of OB Süd, Chris?
Old 7th March 2017, 11:44
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

No Thiele's book so he must have had access to these reports
Old 7th March 2017, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
No Thiele's book so he must have had access to these reports
Yes, he probably did. I am not sure 6./K.G. 26 was operationally ready, but in any event it flew missions against the convoy!

Warm regards,

Paul
Old 7th March 2017, 13:47
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

There's a report on TNA HW13/26 which mentions that "All a/c of Air Transport Control were employed to bring 25 torpedoes from KALAMAKI to Sicily for the torpedo-Staffel which was being transferred from GROSSETO."

This is based on an ULTRA, ref. "1282/T5, T8" (which, in common with every other 1942 signal, I don't have). According to the TNA catalogue it would be MSS/1282, on file HW5/121.
Old 7th March 2017, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
There's a report on TNA HW13/26 which mentions that "All a/c of Air Transport Control were employed to bring 25 torpedoes from KALAMAKI to Sicily for the torpedo-Staffel which was being transferred from GROSSETO."
Thank you very much, Nick! Do you have a suggestion as to what German unit was hiding under the name "Air Transport Control"? The relevant ULTRA intrecept is also referenced in DEFE 3/769, as this Marinearchiv thread (already referred to above) shows:
http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf...?topic=27199.0

I am not quite sure why the He 111s were confused with Ju 88s, perhaps this was a clerical error.

I have sent you a PM.

Warm regards,

Paul
Old 8th March 2017, 01:00
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I'm clueless about 1942 in the MTO but I'd imagine it was a translation of something like Luft Transport Führer — whoever was organising the supplies to North Africa, perhaps?